Vegetarian Runners - Any tips?

32 watchers
Aug 2017
1:31pm, 7 Aug 2017
31,552 posts
  •  
Nellers
I've been paying a bit more attention to my diet recently and the thing I've realized is that getting the "recommended" level of protein and iron each day is a bit of an effort.

To make this even more complicated I'm thinking seriously about dabbling with going meat-free.

I know there are a lot of vegetarian runners out there. How do you manage? What are the things that you'd say need to be included in a healthy diet to get the best out of your running? Also do you have any problems keeping iron intake up?

Any help and advice gratefully received.
Aug 2017
1:44pm, 7 Aug 2017
27,068 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, watching... (went veggie about 1 year ago. Haven't noticed any probs, but not good at eating a proper diet. Mostly pizza, pasta. I eat plenty fruit, but prob not enough green veg and not enough pulses / beans etc. Been told to up intake of obv. green veg, maybe supplement with nuts. Also had low iron count about 1 year ago, but no worse with veg diet now, I don't think. Have given blood 3 times since going veggie and been allowed each time.)

Oh, so I suppose I could contribute Nellers, because (despite being totally ignorant) I

a. have been veggie for a year and

b. have run a bit since then (last month was 258 miles, just on pizza and ice cream!)

Errr, so, it can be done. But no idea how it could be done better! As I said, watching...! :-) G
Aug 2017
1:45pm, 7 Aug 2017
27,069 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
And there's this thread too, of course... fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=27916
Aug 2017
2:27pm, 7 Aug 2017
7,319 posts
  •  
becca7
Protein generally isn't difficult. I can only speak of the plant based stuff these days and there are two ways to go about that. One is to find the plant based equivalent for whatever you would normally have (and there will be one) but that isn't always a healthy option. The other is to use it as an opportunity to try new things and there are lots of different meals with veggie protein in different cuisines.

Keeping track of protein intake on MyFitnessPal or similar helps to begin with. There are beans, peas, lentils, nuts and there is also protein in stuff like pasta and oats and of course fake meat products like Quorn.

I had problems with iron even before becoming veggie so I take Spatone.
Aug 2017
2:34pm, 7 Aug 2017
27,071 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I always get confused by supplements becca. I took Ferroglobin for a bit Vit b12, Zinc, Iron. Iron is 17mg in a pill. Spatone is 5mg, I think? When I was actually diagnosed by GP with iron deficiency anaemia, he gave me 300mg tablets to take 3 x per day with meals for 3 months! I just wonder what the Ferroglobin levels of supplement actually give you?
Aug 2017
2:49pm, 7 Aug 2017
7,320 posts
  •  
becca7
I think that the iron that is in Spatone, although a lower level, is more bio available than the iron in tablets, if taken with juice, and also more palatable for day to day use. However, I think that it isn't enough for anyone with a deficiency.
Aug 2017
4:09pm, 7 Aug 2017
5,326 posts
  •  
Wobbling
If you're going vegetarian and will still include dairy in your diet you could get hold of whey protein powder and stir it into dishes. I'm trying to eat more protein and so will stir protein powder into yoghurt for a snack, or make a quick smoothy with it. I'm also eating a lot more fish and protein bars. Tho the bars need to contain at least 10g of protein.
Aug 2017
4:16pm, 7 Aug 2017
27,073 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Out of interest Wobbling, why do you feel you need extra protein? Have you worked out how much you get and know that it's not enough?

I'm just interested, because as I said above, I eat badly, as a veggie and wonder if I get enough protein. But I seem to have managed to run a good few hundred miles without supplements or anything and haven't fallen apart (yet?!) :-) G
Aug 2017
4:20pm, 7 Aug 2017
20,188 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I've been making injera, using a grain which contains protein and iron - teff.

I leave it to become a sourdough batter before making into flatbreads/pancakes. Good stuff, if you like that slightly sour taste. I do!
Aug 2017
4:23pm, 7 Aug 2017
27,074 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Founds this article which suggests that as long as 10-15% of your calorie in take a day is protein, then you're probably getting enough.

nomeatathlete.com

Lentils, whole wheat pasta and brown rice have protein. Cool. Obv nuts, soya milk, pulses etc. too. Maybe I do get enough! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
I've been paying a bit more attention to my diet recently and the thing I've realized is t...