Veg(etari)an group

125 watchers
Nov 2021
8:01pm, 8 Nov 2021
8,414 posts
  •  
sallykate
That does look brilliant, I've saved it to Copy Me That.
Dec 2021
4:02pm, 29 Dec 2021
1,007 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
I just thought I would give the thread a nudge in case anyone has becoming veg(etari)an as a new year's resolution and would like to join in.
Jan 2022
2:20pm, 20 Jan 2022
5,544 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Help required please. I've persuaded my reluctant husband to give tofu another try. I have a block of the firm ToFoo which I'm planning to serve with stir fry veg tonight - top tips for flavouring/cooking it please.
Jan 2022
2:24pm, 20 Jan 2022
56,031 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Give the tofu a bit of a press to dry it out. ToFoo isn't as wet as some brands but still benefits. I cook it in some oil then add ginger, garlic, lemongrass, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and some sugar, and put a drizzle of sesame oil on just before serving. Or marinate it in the same flavouring combo and bake it in the oven. My children used to love it done like that.
Jan 2022
2:26pm, 20 Jan 2022
24,280 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Start with marinated tofu ;-) Cut into slices, fry, then cut the slices up.

I had some of the smoked tofu Lidl has just now, yesterday; sliced and fried, on toast. Quite tasty.
Jan 2022
2:42pm, 20 Jan 2022
5,546 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Thanks!

How long do you bake it for at what temperature?
Jan 2022
2:43pm, 20 Jan 2022
237 posts
  •  
Sampson
If being healthy is not your top priority, chop it into chunks, coat it in cornflour mixed with salt and pepper, and then fry it on each side in about half a cm of oil, until it goes all crispy. Nom nom nom.
Jan 2022
2:48pm, 20 Jan 2022
56,035 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'd bake it at a moderate heat until it's dry, LMH. I genuinely can't be more specific than that because my oven is so imprecise and so is most of my cooking. I'd guess 30-45 minutes.

I like Sampson's technique too. Vegan "fish" is pretty much that with seaweed wrapped round the tofu before coating and frying it. I find the fishification unnecessary.
Jan 2022
2:51pm, 20 Jan 2022
5,547 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm not keen on fried food Sampson, don't like the feel of oil on my lips if that makes sense?

I've had a quick search and come up with this as the way to bake it: simpleveganblog.com

But with these spices: bbcgoodfood.com

As I'm pretty sure he'll like the flavour and I'm thinking I can then stick them on top of some stir fry veg that I'll probably use a combination of soy sauce and fish sauce to flavour.
Jan 2022
2:55pm, 20 Jan 2022
56,037 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I remember it took me a few goes to get past the unexpected texture of tofu (possibly because all we had when I first encountered it was UHT silken tofu) but I like it a lot even though I'm not vegetarian.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
Hello everyone ;)

This a chat thread for our Veg(etari)an group, every veg(etari)an is welcome to...