Veg(etari)an group

126 watchers
21 Jan
5:08pm, 21 Jan 2024
48,629 posts
  •  
DocM
Thanks for some great tips. I do cook a lot of food from around the world and agree it is a great way to expand vegetarian repertoire. We have gradually over the last few years ( maybe decades ) increased the proportion of vegetarian meals we eat so I think the meat is being squeezed out. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on vegan cheese?
21 Jan
5:52pm, 21 Jan 2024
23,345 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
DocM - I would recommend nutritional yeast as a good cheese substitute and also pangritata.

I use nutritional yeast to make cauliflower cheese for vegan friends.

Pangritata I used to sprinkle on pasta dishes. I always make breadcrumbs from left over loaves and keep them in the freezer to make pangritata. It’s also known as poor man’s parmesan.

I don’t eat actual vegan cheese tho’.
21 Jan
5:55pm, 21 Jan 2024
6,876 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I've not found a good vegan cheese apart from soft cheese but my BiL recommends Honestly Tasty - expensive though.
21 Jan
5:57pm, 21 Jan 2024
67,433 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I like cultured vegan cheeses like this iamnutok.com (other brands are available). They're expensive, but more palatable and have a healthier nutritional profile than the off-the-peg variety. And nutritional yeast for sprinkling on bolognaise etc.
CK2
21 Jan
6:31pm, 21 Jan 2024
2,577 posts
  •  
CK2
My colleague swears by the Cathedral City vegan cheese, although I’m less of a fan. Nush do a great soft cheese substitute based from nuts, although I’m struggling to find it at the moment.
21 Jan
7:37pm, 21 Jan 2024
17,687 posts
  •  
Garfield
Yes, another vote for nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour...add a tiny bit of miso to give it a little more depth umami-wise.
23 Jan
11:52pm, 23 Jan 2024
940 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
I often use other things instead of cheese, depending what purpose the cheese was serving.

- wholegrain mustard or marmite for flavour
- olives or sauerkraut instead of feta in salads
- peanut butter or hummus in sandwiches
- seeds & breadcrumbs for a crunchy topping instead of cheese on pasta bakes

I've discovered some great combos I wouldn't have thought of:
- some dollops of wholegrain mustard and hummus on pizza instead of cheese
- unsalted peanut butter, marmite (or wholegrain mustard, or saukerkraut), grated carrot and beansprout sandwiches
24 Jan
7:07am, 24 Jan 2024
66,303 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hummus works w pasta too
24 Jan
9:43am, 24 Jan 2024
9,775 posts
  •  
becca7
I use things like capers, pomegranate, sliced kumquats, sauerkraut, kimchi or toasted seeds or nuts to add extra flavour to Buddha bowl type salads.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
Hello everyone ;)

This a chat thread for our Veg(etari)an group, every veg(etari)an is welcome to...