varifocal glasses

3 watchers
Aug 2021
5:54am, 11 Aug 2021
602 posts
  •  
NRGEE
Had varifocals- but couldn't get away with them ier tipping head back to read computer screen.

After a year- my distance vision had worsened;but I could still read ok without wearing glasses. I opted for a pair of glasses for distance vision only- as much cheaper.

Distance vision is def better with new glasses BUT I can't see my phone if I get a text and I get many texts a day. I have to put the glasses on my head and this usually results in hair getting tangled in nosepieces to the extent that I have had to pull hair out to get glasses off forehead .

Phoned optician who said I can keep same frame on new glasses and will convert to varifocals- he will deduct from the cost what i paid for the distance lens.

How did you get used to your varifocals? Any advice much appreciated. Will ask ask at opticians today.

Many thnaks
ps I hate having to wear glasses; but couldn't wear contact lenses.
Aug 2021
6:35am, 11 Aug 2021
27,093 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I wear them
I think it depends on the spec
My first pair were in the sale so I got the most expensive lenses
They described the difference and the cheaper (read less expensive!) ones have abrupt changes and need more head movement whereas the more expensive blend more and have a wider area for each “lens” giving a more natural feel

If you are having to move your head that much they have either cocked up the prescription or the blending of prescription is too abrupt

But I totally get what you mean …. Keep trying it makes a difference xx
CK2
Aug 2021
6:43am, 11 Aug 2021
912 posts
  •  
CK2
It does seem very variable how people respond to varifocals but, as EP says, lens quality/specs is important. The optician did explain this to me and I got a bit lost but essentially the field of short vs long sight is improved with the more pricey lenses. I think EP explains it better! It took a few days to get used to them I felt a bit drunk initially but that settled down. I had to learn to trust them (rather than keep moving my head about) and have been very lucky as they’re now brilliant. Good luck and I hope they work out for you.
Aug 2021
7:11am, 11 Aug 2021
1,109 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
I, like you, can read without glasses and put off having varifocals until this year as I don’t like change very much.

Buy the best varifocal lenses you can afford!

For me just being able to look at my phone and the telly when I would have to take my distance glasses off to look at the phone was a real game changer!

I adjusted to these pretty quickly and there’s not a lot of head moving involved.
Aug 2021
7:42am, 11 Aug 2021
1,790 posts
  •  
Mushroom
I got my first ever pair of varifocals only about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I was a bit nervous beforehand but, with the option to change lenses if they didn't suit, decided to give them a go.

I went for the best lenses I could afford. The frames were inexpensive though..!

I found the first couple of days a bit strange - I was glad to take them off and give my eyes a rest after wearing them all day. Since then though, I haven't really noticed them or thought about them. They've just been fine.
Aug 2021
7:52am, 11 Aug 2021
4,595 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Anyone in the trade on here ?

I'm about to go for an eye test in a couple of weeks, definitely my reading is worse, but long distance seems ok.

I currently have variofocals and love them - they were expensive, 2 or 3 hundred just for the lenses as I used existing frames.

Looking around you can get a whole pair of variofocals from Asda for £45 !!

What exactly constitutes a "good" pair of lenses - is it certain brands, or a certain "type" of lens, or what should I be looking for ?

Don't want to pay cheap then find they're rubbish, but at same time are the smaller, local opticians just ripping us off ?

Any pointers as to what to look for would be appreciated.
Aug 2021
8:31am, 11 Aug 2021
27,097 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
mine were 200+ and the best ones but this also meant I hardly noticed the change
vision express give like a month trial
my contacts for cycling are geared to distance and I can hardly see my phone so I know they make a difference
personally K5 I would not be using the cheap offers
Aug 2021
8:49am, 11 Aug 2021
4,596 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
A quick google and this is quite informative ( although a couple of years old, not sure if lens technology has moved on much since then )
thespectaclefactory.com

Time for some more research :-)
Aug 2021
10:37am, 13 Aug 2021
39,488 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Rats, a timely thread, I'm going to have to get some glasses soon. Never needed them before, in my early 50s, and def some close things are a bit blurred and some distance stuff I have to blink to focus sometimes. Got an eye test just before C19 and said I needed a mild prescription. Never got round to getting said prescription! Hmm, not looking forward to being a glasses wearer! :-)G
Aug 2021
9:28pm, 13 Aug 2021
5,968 posts
  •  
MisterTea
I’ve worn glasses since 16 and had to get varifocals last time - about 2 years ago. I was having to take my glasses off to read my phone. I think I went for option 4 out of 5 because of the amount of time I spend on the computer. Took about 2 weeks to get used to them though. Would switch back to my normal lenses a bit each day and for all my running. Until I realised that I wasn’t noticing them any more.

About This Thread

Maintained by NRGEE
Had varifocals- but couldn't get away with them ier tipping head back to read computer screen. ...