UTMOST

66 watchers
Jul 2016
11:31am, 5 Jul 2016
17,364 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've rebuilt the UTMOST game, to hopefully cure the dodgy divisional system. I've also implemented a suggestion (can't remember who made it - I'm really sorry) that we switch to weekly promotion and relegation, to spice things up a bit.

For those of you that don't know, the game is based around your best race times - and you're placed in a division with people who are of a similar standard. If you don't race, or if you don't log races in your Race Portfolio, then this isn't the game for you :-) But if you only race at one distance, even if that's only parkrun, you can earn points and play.

I will be rebuilding ALL the divisions on Friday at midday, so if you'd like to get in at a suitable position, then make sure you've signed up before then:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/game-utmost.php

(after midday Friday, new players will have to start at the bottom - but they can rise more quickly, thanks to the weekly turnaround)

Jul 2016
3:55pm, 5 Jul 2016
17,368 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've just done a simulation of several weeks of promotions and relegations. Things are a lot simpler because new players will start at the very bottom; and when I tried dropping out of the game, it moved the gap I left down through the divisions a week at a time. Looking forward to seeing how this works :-)
Jul 2016
4:53pm, 5 Jul 2016
17,371 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
A little tip when we get started - on the mobile view, the league table only shows the points for each distance - but if you put your phone sideways, it shows the times too.
Jul 2016
10:22am, 6 Jul 2016
814 posts
  •  
mbln
New banner is confusing. I'm already registered, but the options are join or no :-S
Jul 2016
10:34am, 6 Jul 2016
17,374 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Soz. Just click join, it'll make it go away ;-)
Jul 2016
1:09pm, 8 Jul 2016
5,677 posts
  •  
paul the builder
It's happened then....

I *think* you're including Benchmark times (or best training run records) where there's no race time recorded in the last 12 months. Personally I like this (as an infrequent racer), I predict some might not.

But I think it's right how it is - because - it's a bit churlish if someone (Person A) feels hard done to because they want to be higher up than Person B, if B has faster training pace than A's race pace.
Jul 2016
1:16pm, 8 Jul 2016
3,378 posts
  •  
Nelly
I'm not sure Fetch is including Benchmark times PtB. For instance your 10k and HM times are exactly the same pace as your marathon time (from a real race). I believe times for distances you haven't raced are based upon the best pace you have achieved for any race longer than that distance (or this is how it was before the reboot).
Jul 2016
1:24pm, 8 Jul 2016
5,679 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Ah yes, you're right Nelly. So sort of "Benchmark from a Race" times.

So I would do better at UTMOST if I unevenly paced long races then ;-)
Jul 2016
1:25pm, 8 Jul 2016
3,379 posts
  •  
Nelly
I bet you feel like you need to wash your mouth out with soup and water after even suggesting that :-p
Jul 2016
1:30pm, 8 Jul 2016
932 posts
  •  
westmoors
PtB, I don't think it is even Benchmarking from races. If you run a half marathon at an average 9 min/mi pace but don't have a 10 mile time, then it assumes you can run 10 miles at 9 min/mi so gives you a time of 1:30:00.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Start in the bottom division, and compete over seven different distances against your rivals for weekly promotion!

How It Works
1) The game takes your best times from training and racing over the last 12 months.

2) If you've got the fastest 5k in your division, you get 20 points. If you're second fastest, you get 19 points, etc.

3) Your FIVE best scores are used to calculate your total. So if your scores at each distance are 20,20,20,20,20,10,5 the lowest two are discarded, and your total points would be 100.

4) Promotion and relegation happen every Monday at midday.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.