Using phone as a GPS

10 watchers
Mar 2015
2:07pm, 10 Mar 2015
1,666 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark
Is the accuracy of this down to the phone/GPS signal or the software? Or a combination of both?
Mar 2015
2:09pm, 10 Mar 2015
15,794 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The test page doesn't contain 'software' as such - certainly not written by me - it's just one call to (something like) getLocation - the native phone software handles the details.
Mar 2015
2:18pm, 10 Mar 2015
1,667 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark
Interesting. So RunKeeper must be doing something similar, but also (and maybe usefully for you) they also keep the getlocation call alive whilst the phone is in locked/sleep mode, else they couldn't tell me where I'd been! So it must be possible.....
Mar 2015
2:32pm, 10 Mar 2015
15,795 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
If you do it in an app, rather than in a browser, then you can tell the phone that you want to keep the action going even when the screen is locked. But the phone won't let you do that from a browser. It's annoying for me, because it means I have to get involved in platform-specific apps, rather than just being able to build it into a one-size fits all web page.
Mar 2015
4:41pm, 10 Mar 2015
24,285 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Fetch, have you looked at the frameworks that let you convert web development into native apps (AppyPie, GoNative - um, there were others but I haven't looked at it). You still need to do the testing and certification (which costs $$$) but they do streamline that somewhat too...?
Mar 2015
8:33pm, 10 Mar 2015
3,756 posts
  •  
Kieren
Maybe you could plugin to the wahoo app. I use that and it allows me to share mu run with garmin (& so Fetch), strava TP, runkeeper, Nike etc.

I tried the web link and it asked for permission but did not show any co-ordinates (Nexus 4, Android 4.4.4)
Mar 2015
8:51pm, 10 Mar 2015
2,268 posts
  •  
pedroscalls
I tried it again later and it was better, within a few feet of where I was unlike the first time where it was a huge distance away.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
If you've got a reasonably savvy phone, could you try visiting this URL:

http://www.fetcheveryon...