•  
Chrisull
missing word * voter id laws * not voter id
Nov 2016
1:15pm, 11 Nov 2016
10,264 posts
  •  
Chrisull
On the upsurge in hate crimes being reported. I would be nervous of specifically connecting the two (but nervous, not I would certainly not attempt to deny it).

Put it this way. Would anyone deny that after the Nazi government of 1933 was elected there was an upsurge in hate crimes against the Jewish population?

So let's take a small leap to the present day. It was safe to say there were no arson attacks on Polish houses in Plymouth accompanied with racist graffiti before Brexit.

Now see: plymouthherald.co.uk

"Ewa said the negative response from some people to her family being in Britain was "not new", but she noted: "We've never got to the point where someone has taken action. It was more of a verbal problem in the past."

Anecdotal - but fair comment?

So IF the election of a Nazi government in 1933 led to a upsurge in hate crime against the Jewish population, it isn't a massive disconnected jump to say that a vote for a side that championing reducing immigration of EU citizens, along with inflammatory language in the UK might have lead to a similar effect on an upsurge in hate crime against EU citizens living in the UK?

In the same way that when we won the Olympics in 2012, and presented it, there was an upsurge in the participation of sport??

british-gymnastics.org

Be clear, it is not being said that either Trump or Brexit created hate crime, and conversely there was hate against Jews before Hitler ever came to power, but they are magnifying it. I think some would say "that is a price worth paying for sovereignty, and it will get better in the long run" - ok we can debate that. To say it doesn't happen though, well lets see your evidence that it isn't happening???
Nov 2016
2:33pm, 11 Nov 2016
1,218 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Sensible comment Chrisull, Re: Magnifying I see it as the subtle (and some unsubtle)changes in tone by people and things in authority are picked upon by morons and idiots as a justification for acts of violence, and hate crime. For example, Daily Mail headline "Enemies of the State", Teresa May's slow response to actually step in on that point and Trump reference to (some) Mexican illegal immigants as rapists.

Freedom of speech and expression is fine but it all has consequences and for people who are role models, leaders or people in power and influence those consequences are greater.
Nov 2016
6:02pm, 11 Nov 2016
3,935 posts
  •  
postieboy
I know it's a bit late, but when I studied American politics in college, I learned it was a pain in the arse to register to vote over there. This hasn't changed in 25 years by the look of it.
Nov 2016
6:05pm, 11 Nov 2016
13,670 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
There wasn't a lasting upsurge in sport participation after 2012. In fact it is worse than ever now.
Nov 2016
8:46pm, 11 Nov 2016
10,266 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Wasn't lasting - no, but there was an upsurge.
Nov 2016
8:47pm, 11 Nov 2016
10,267 posts
  •  
Chrisull
In more Donald Trump news:

"Donald Trump says after his meeting with President Obama at the White House he is reconsidering his pledge to completely repeal 'Obamacare'"

and

"Donald Trump has removed governor Chris Christie as leader of his transition team handing responsibility to Mike Pence"

Colour me not shocked
Nov 2016
7:35pm, 12 Nov 2016
890 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
Quite funny, I think:

l.facebook.com

Never heard of this guy before, I might start watching him.
Nov 2016
11:11pm, 12 Nov 2016
377 posts
  •  
Oranj
Saw Rich Hall at the Oxford Playhouse this evening. He didn't disappoint ;)
Nov 2016
9:31am, 13 Nov 2016
13,682 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Farage, he's like a silent fart.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
So we start hearing results about 6pm Tue UK time, and we know by about 6am Wed morn (or possibly a ...