USA Presidential Election watch - have you got USA Presidential Election

23 watchers
Nov 2016
10:36pm, 10 Nov 2016
10,252 posts
  •  
Chrisull
He was asked about banning Muslims today according BBC news and he said "thank you and good night" and walked out without answering the question. I can't see him doing it, the New Yorker suggests he might end up say banning people from say Somalia or other nations from "the axis of evil" and leaving it at that. Of course I don't agree with this even, but he will have to do something and will be pragmatic about it and I suspect retreat from many of his most idiotic positions.

'But it shouldn’t be taboo to call voters out for falling for racist and sexist messages'

Yes, but there are ways of doing it. Telling people they are racist and they are dumb is not going to help or achieve anything. And it demonstrates a kind of smug superiority that means anything else you might say will be explored and leads to the polarisation we have now.

The liberals/left has to put across points in a sensible, well argued and neutral way and has to listen too... Had a good discussion in work about it - if someone is railing against immigration being bad, don't say "no immigration is good" - ask them a question such as if they have had family members move cities looking for work. If they say yes, but argue that is different, ask them how it is different. Perhaps say I think it isn't any different for this reason and if they disagree leave it at that. It isn't about persuading. I can't persuade my cats to eat when they're starving, so it's best I don't try. It's the left's dog with a bone , not letting go of a point, insisting we're right. It shouldn't be like that, you should listen to their point, you advance yours. Point ended. You do any more, you just antagonise, and what is to be gained? If what is being said is so horrible or wrong, say I can't agree with that and leave it there. When did anyone have a large row with someone else and persuade the other person to change their mind as a result of that row?

Trump is baiting us I think. I do have a sneaking like for provocateurs (from John Lydon to Russell Brand), and when you refuse to rise to their bait, they lose a lot of their power to shock. Admittedly he's president, but his schtick will change with the role, it has to.
Nov 2016
8:40am, 11 Nov 2016
214 posts
  •  
fartlek
Chris - you nailed it.
Media reaction is irresponsible @ best.
He acted the pantomime villain because he calculated this was the way to go to get elected. On a personal level, I found a lot of what he said so ridiculous that it had me in stitches.
We need to forget about what was said during the campaign (put it in a box and throw it away) and concentrate on his actions once he takes office.

I suspect he will surround himself with experienced hands who will guide and moderate (if needed).
We all need to grow a thick skin and calm down.
Nov 2016
8:55am, 11 Nov 2016
13,661 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Brand talks utter gibberish. Nothing else.
Nov 2016
8:55am, 11 Nov 2016
10,255 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Above - I said *explored* I meant ignored!!!

I started twigging when he started lecturing Beyonce and Jay Z on their language, a little late I know. The "nasty woman" comment to Hillary in the debate on paper looks horrible and disrespectful (as it is), but when you see him say it, it is pantomime villain stuff. He was friendly with the Clintons, I can't see him attempting to jail, despite what many in his party want.

Was noticing that the people who stayed "loyal" are all actually losers and outcasts in the Republican party themselves, Giulani, Christie, Gingrich... I could be wrong, but I can't see *all* of them taking over *the* major posts - sure they'll be rewarded, but I wonder if there won't be a few forgotten or unknown names there. If he wants to build infrastructure, the last thing he needs is a few free market crazies. He will want tariffs /import taxes, and he will want to borrow. Anathema to much in the party I suspect, our own chancellor was choking on it yesterday.
Nov 2016
9:03am, 11 Nov 2016
10,256 posts
  •  
Chrisull
It's funny how Brand annoys/upsets more people than Trump. Not a fan, but I respect his ability to get under people's skin, and it is amusing at times. Again delivery more important than content.
Nov 2016
9:17am, 11 Nov 2016
10,455 posts
  •  
Fenland_Plodder
If the President of the USA acts like that, doesn't legitimise those actions.

Don't under estimate the culture and behaviour that becomes the 'norm' by those in power.

As a parent it goes against everything I have suggested is the way to 'live'.
Nov 2016
11,518 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Trump has appointed Kris Kobach as an advisor who crafted SB 1070, a rather controversial state bill in Arizona which gives law enforcement officers the right to ask anyone they suspect i.e. Not white or foreign accent to prove they have the right to reside in the US.

A sign of things to come.
Nov 2016
10,456 posts
  •  
Fenland_Plodder
If the President of the USA acts like that, doesn't it legitimise those actions.
Nov 2016
9:22am, 11 Nov 2016
1,479 posts
  •  
Spleen
"The most qualified candidate in a generation"? Is that "qualified" in the sense you use to describe company accounts?
Nov 2016
9:29am, 11 Nov 2016
215 posts
  •  
fartlek
"If the President of the USA acts like that, doesn't it legitimise those actions."
FP - that's the point I'm trying to make. He acted like that when he was CAMPAIGNING to get into office.
Let's wait and see what a Trump presidency looks like before we judge.
Words are words. It's not as if he has illegally entered and bombed the shit out of another country on the basis of trumped (sorry) up intelligence on wmd...... the list goes on and on.

We have completely lost perspective here.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
So we start hearing results about 6pm Tue UK time, and we know by about 6am Wed morn (or possibly a ...