Urinary incontinence

1 watcher
Jun 2014
4:48pm, 19 Jun 2014
74 posts
  •  
Aimless Alliterations
I often go running with 2 or 3 neighbours - we are all men in our early to mid fifties - and a couple of us having entered a half marathon later in the year are trying to persuade the others to enter too. One of the guys has confided that he's worried about entering a race because at the end of nearly every training run we go on he has to rush to the bathroom. He's obviously a bit sensitive about the subject but is worried that he might wet himself at the end of the race. He says he doesn't feel the need to "go" during our runs but it's at the end of a run he has a need to urinate urgently and he doesn't consider it serious enough to warrant a visit to his GP.

Any suggestions on what approach we might use to get him to see somebody about the problem? Or can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
Jun 2014
4:52pm, 19 Jun 2014
10,982 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I have been there myself a few times, needing the toilet on finishing a run. Doesn't happen a lot.

Does he drink a lot whilst out running?
Jun 2014
5:00pm, 19 Jun 2014
75 posts
  •  
Aimless Alliterations
When we go together we generally go on fairly short runs - 5 miles or so - and don't take drinks with us. I can't say what happens on any longer runs he goes on alone.
Jun 2014
9:37am, 20 Jun 2014
930 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
None other than suggesting he seek some medical advice, practice nurse even? For him to have even admitted there is a problem to you shows it is obviously a major issue for him, even though it may not be anything serious to worry about.
Jun 2014
10:57am, 20 Jun 2014
77 posts
  •  
Aimless Alliterations
Thanks for the responses. I think a bit of gentle persuasion is the order of the day.
Jun 2014
11:10am, 20 Jun 2014
29,950 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It IS serious enough to merit a visit to his GP. Incontinence is much commoner in women, but urinary symptoms in a man are more likely to have a treatable underlying cause.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mountkeen
I often go running with 2 or 3 neighbours - we are all men in our early to mid fifties - and a coupl...