upping to two runs a week

1 watcher
Jul 2012
11:20am, 14 Jul 2012
1,046 posts
  •  
AdminLiz
It's the 100 post rule mushy :)
Once you get passed 100 posts, it's open season....don't take it personal!
Jul 2012
11:21am, 14 Jul 2012
21,915 posts
  •  
Old Croc
to be fair you didn't mention that you did other sport - swimming - and that your one run was a supplement to your swimming. Running twice a week isn't exactly revolutionary.

Back to your question - a "hard" effort once a week could be replaced with two medium efforts and be more beneficial. Maybe a longer steadier run - day after a hard swim training? and an intervals session?
Jul 2012
11:27am, 14 Jul 2012
7,925 posts
  •  
James1982a
As long as they aren't back to back, I don't see a problem with 2 quality sessions. The "hard 10k" & maybe intervals, another tempo run, hill session etc.

If I was giving general advice, I'd strongly encourage anyone to do at least 3 but preferably 4 runs a week. Hard core or not hard core.
Jul 2012
11:27am, 14 Jul 2012
1,801 posts
  •  
Alex Bampton
If you are going to run twice a week as x-train to swimming you need to make sure the sessions complement each other, ie not two effort sessions in one day.

I would recommend one hour long run at a steady pace and one variable effort session, this could be a progression run, intervals, fartleks or split tempo (2 x 10/15 mins). Otherwise you are at risk of "grey zone training" - always training at the same pace = always racing at the same pace.
Jul 2012
11:34am, 14 Jul 2012
7,926 posts
  •  
James1982a
although, it is debatable about running hard sessions without any base mileage...

Also, the op doesn't state whether the training is mostly for fitness, just a compliment to swimming, of specifically to improve race times...
Jul 2012
4:42pm, 14 Jul 2012
5,342 posts
  •  
The_Saint
There is sniffy and then there is the normal reaction one might expect on a running site that has things such as a training league table and Conquercise where people such as me get rightly annoyed that sitting down counts as exercise ;)

However I have seen it said many times that just for general, one notch up from a couch potato fitness then you need to be running three times a week and before the Fetch pitchforks are unsheathed, this is me relating stuff I have read, by all means seek out the authors and surround their houses with angry mobs.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I currently do one hard 10k once a week. Thinking of adding a second run (after work one night) int...