Upload from apple watch

18 watchers
Dec 2018
8:49am, 11 Dec 2018
7 posts
  •  
Josh_hand
Morning everyone. I have had a search to help with this, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I have recently changed from a Garmin to an Apple Watch. Having read the DC Rainmaker reviews, I have downloaded the WorkOutDoors app for running. My questions are threefold:

i. What is the best way to upload from the app/apple watch to Fetch? Currently I have to go on the app on my phone, save the workout as a GPX to my phone files, then upload it on the fetch website. This is a faff compared the nice syncing of the Garmin (I accept it was my choice to get an apple watch(!), but there are other health benefits for me).

ii). Is there an easier way to upload if I choose a different running app of the watch? iSmoothRun seems to get good reviews.

iii). Can fetch import directly (and automatically) from the Health App?

Many thanks :)
Dec 2018
9:42am, 11 Dec 2018
20,518 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I don't have an Apple Watch, nor am I likely to get one - but if someone knows of an API that might let me grab data from a specific Apple app, that'd be great. We can point others at it too, as well as advising Josh. Hi Josh :-)
Dec 2018
10:23am, 11 Dec 2018
18,035 posts
  •  
flanker
It'll depend if whatever app is being used records the data into the health app, in which case the API access is pretty good (if slightly undocumented in places :-)), or if it uses its own database.
Dec 2018
12:45pm, 11 Dec 2018
8 posts
  •  
Josh_hand
Thanks for responding. Sorry Fetch, not trying to make work for you!

flanker - the data appears in the Health App automatically. So not sure if this is a good thing or not?

Does anyone know if there would be advantages to using any other apps on the watch instead?
Dec 2018
12:53pm, 11 Dec 2018
20,527 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
It's not work if it makes it easier for lots of people to get their data on Fetch. Ok, it still is work, but it's useful work :-) I'll investigate further :-)
Dec 2018
7:13pm, 11 Dec 2018
18,036 posts
  •  
flanker
If the app logs the run data to the health app then it should be sufficient for importing As would any other one that did the same if it has better functionality / prettier colours :)
Dec 2018
8:45am, 12 Dec 2018
9 posts
  •  
Josh_hand
Thank you flanker. Can you recommend a way to auto send the data from Health app to Fetch?
Dec 2018
10:11am, 12 Dec 2018
18,038 posts
  •  
flanker
No :-). It needs an uploader app to suck the data out of the health app and upload it onto here, and that will need to be done by Fetch as although the upload API is public the user authentication is a private API.

The only way I could see it being automated at the moment is if you can find another app that already accesses the health data and has the ability to synch into Fetch, either directly or via intermediary services (such as strava -> tapirik -> Garmin Connect -> Fetch) which would be a right pita and probably more unreliable and effort than doing it manually! I think waiting for Fetch is the right answer here :)

(*thunks* ...unless authentication could be done in-app by the user through a WebKit view, the token captured, and used by the app for further transactions? Fetch?

BTW, p*ss off and stop interfering is a perfectly acceptable answer - I've got plenty other ideas for holiday projects over Xmas :) )
Dec 2018
10:53am, 12 Dec 2018
10 posts
  •  
Josh_hand
Woah this is all getting beyond me! Thank you for replying. I am trialling another app then purports to send the info the garming connect. This would then hopefully send on to fetch. So kinda like you suggest. No luck on actually automating it yet. So as you say, doing it manually will suffice for now.
Apr 2019
2:21pm, 5 Apr 2019
69 posts
  •  
mattglen_
Hey guys, any new thoughts on this? Just swapped from a Garmin Forerunner to Apple Watch Series 4, and was wondering how best to upload to Fetch. Here's my thoughts at the mo:

- Use the workout app on watch to record run
- Then use an app such as RunGap to export data to Garmin Connect (have to do this manually on iPhone)
- Garmin Connect auto uploads runs to Fetch like it did when I used my forerunner

About This Thread

Maintained by Sorequads
Morning everyone. I have had a search to help with this, but couldn't quite find what I was loo...