Unusually elevated pulse when running

3 watchers
Jun 2016
12:24pm, 6 Jun 2016
724 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
HI everyone,

I wear an HRM for all my runs, and glance at it occasionally. I've got to know my running pulse pretty well, and I can predict what it will be when I check my watch. The usual pattern is it shoots up to 170ish for the first mile then falls to 140-150 depending on exertion levels. Last week I noticed a consistently much higher reading than normal, for the same perceived level of effort. My pulse falls quickly again when I stop, and it's normal at rest.
It could be the watch of course. I also had a stressful week or two at work, which could be connected.
Thoughts, please?
Jun 2016
12:29pm, 6 Jun 2016
11,819 posts
  •  
Dvorak
It's probably the watch/battery/strap. The 170 then falling is also not what I see suggesting some early false readings. Unless you also shoot off for the first mile then slow down. If it was stress/ fatigue/ illness I'd expect your resting rate to be higher and recovery slower.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor ;-)
Jun 2016
12:55pm, 6 Jun 2016
3,288 posts
  •  
ndellar
Thoughts - not clear if you are using watch or watch + strap but the following may cause weird readings:

Watch/strap needs cleaning
Watch/strap needs new battery
Strap not moist enough

Strap getting static interference from tech t-shirt
Strap/Watch not tight enough
You are ill - that's not meant to sound flippant - a friend sometimes notices a high HR at the beginning of runs, stops for a min and if it persists bins the run as he had some unusual HR readings when he had a virus so if it carries on might be worth getting checked out
Jun 2016
12:56pm, 6 Jun 2016
743 posts
  •  
photoset
always get an initial high reading, this is usually due to poor skin contact until you build up a sweat,
have had a higher than normal reading when running in the first hot spell of the year (+10BPM above normal), if it is a one off could be just poor contact
Jun 2016
1:08pm, 6 Jun 2016
547 posts
  •  
Sam Vimes Boots
Hans Selye did much of the early work on stress response and general adaptation syndrome. He found that irrespective of whether the stressor was physiological or psychological in origin the response was the same. Ruling out equipment malfunction, if you've had a stressful week at work with prolonged exposure, it is possible that's the cause of the issue. People like Joel Jamieson, an American S&C coach, are using heart rate variability monitoring to adapt training loads and volumes to stress response.
Jun 2016
1:38pm, 6 Jun 2016
4,217 posts
  •  
Nightjar
Interesting your observation that it shoots up to 170 then drops after a mile. Analysis of this was of course not your original question but since Dvorak picked it up I thought I'd share that I see much the same with my running. I put this down to time taken to get the blood fully oxygenated. A good warm up lessens the effect.

Back to the question - if it remains persistently higher and you have ruled out mechanical issues then I would suspect some kind of lurgy.
Jun 2016
1:52pm, 6 Jun 2016
801 posts
  •  
mbln
Did you do a manual check (finger to neck/wrist) when it was reported high? As others have said it can take a while for good contact, esp. on a warm day.
Jun 2016
2:00pm, 6 Jun 2016
5,656 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Nightjar - no need to invoke a complicated medical reason for what you see (and others above, and me also). It's what photoset says - poor contact and inaccurate data. Once you've sweated just a little, it will go away. That's quite a cardiac drift there, too.

Tony - on the question of a generally higher HR after the settling period is over, for the same perceived effort (or say the same pace that you normally run at), then that could be warmer weather (your heart now has to work to pump more blood to the skin for cooling, as well as to muscles). Or illness. Or I can see it if I run quite close to a last meal. Moving to altitude would do it too, but I think you'd notice if that was the case here :-)
Jun 2016
2:25pm, 6 Jun 2016
725 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
Thanks for all the input.

It's a chest strap/watch design, and TBH I'm not sure about the poor skin contact theory, as I wet the strap and check for a reading before I go out. Also, in all my years of cycling with an HRM, I never had the same pattern of readings. My pulse would build up gradually, until I hit a big hill. I just kind of accepted that it behaved differently on a run - even using the same device.
I did try to stop mid run to do a finger check, but found it impossible.
Maybe I can dig out my old Polar HRM, and run with that to see if there's a difference.
Jun 2016
2:54pm, 6 Jun 2016
5,657 posts
  •  
paul the builder
You're bouncing around vertically when running, in a way that you aren't when cycling (or standing still checking). It's that oscillation that provides a signal - it's not a coincidence that it's basically the same number as our cadence.

I normally get it for less than a mile in warmer weather, 1-2 miles in colder weather. Also varies with clothing - if I wear 2 loose technical top layers, it's really bad. If the under layer is skintight (i.e. lycra type) then it's only the same as normal.

About This Thread

Maintained by
HI everyone,

I wear an HRM for all my runs, and glance at it occasionally. I've got to know my r...