Uni Challenge and Only Connect 2019 to 2020

6 watchers
Jan 2020
9:04am, 8 Jan 2020
25,237 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Did well on Keiths and Yellow things last night, and screaming missing vowels answers too!
Jan 2020
9:05am, 8 Jan 2020
25,238 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
UC is there in iplayer.....mind you I watch it all the time on iplayer
Jan 2020
12:07pm, 10 Jan 2020
18,650 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Just finished Christmas UC which came to a satisfactory conclusion. Highest scoring game of the series by far with 365 combined: next was 285 and lowest 195. I did fairly well throughout will a good final (more questions helps!) but an odd dip in games 5-7.

Bonus OCs - well, it was a treat to see Elysia again (my goodness, she was driven), some others, rather less. The Champion of Champions seemed a real step up in difficulty - I got one decent answer (Canada, for three points) and whereas (trumpet alert) I'm usually excellent on the ms sngv wls round, they combinedly thrashed me.

Then again, they were the ne plus ultra of OCers, so perhaps I should not be too hard on myself ;-) .
Jan 2020
12:32pm, 10 Jan 2020
25,273 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
This missing vowels were very hard in the champions game. UC done really well lately with all sorts of random answers including Guano.
Jan 2020
12:46pm, 10 Jan 2020
9,954 posts
  •  
larkim
I baulked at those smug ones too on the Christmas OCs - the ones wanting to ask for "the snake" or the "the wavy lines" to make them look a bit cool. Didn't work!

Some missing vowel rounds I'll score nothing at all on, and some I'll beat the teams hands down - you either see them or you don't, especially if they are at all "pun-ny".
Jan 2020
4:11pm, 10 Jan 2020
9,407 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Agree larks - the missing vowels is definitely see it or not much of the time.

I always find it a bit odd that a logic-based connections quiz comes down to that round....
Jan 2020
12:30am, 11 Jan 2020
18,666 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Just watched this week's OC. Beat the teams on 12 out of 13 in the m ssn gv wls round. Aye, boasting again, but I'm actually a bit baffled by this ability. I can't do it with anagrams. Often I have an inkling of what the answers might be, so I see them as soon as they do appear, but for example on this edition's animals round, I had to work them all out.

Maybe I can just read very quickly, and it's easier to see them at home than in the studio.
Jan 2020
6:46am, 11 Jan 2020
1,964 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
When I first watched OC I didn't get missing vowels at all but suddenly I understood and am quite good at most of them now. I think perhaps its just if you are on the same length as the question setters? I don't normally think fast but you only have a second or two to shout them st the telly!
Jan 2020
6:46am, 11 Jan 2020
1,965 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Wave length.
Jan 2020
7:00am, 11 Jan 2020
5,324 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I’m pretty good at the missing vowels as long as it’s not too obscure, if the answer is a pair of things it helps to look for the ND. Like you Dvorak I just can’t do anagrams (one of my least favourite types of round on Pointless), unless I can think of a likely answer and see if it fits.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
Late to the party this year.....only just watched 6 and 7 of UC...xheeting on Manchester...had a sto...