Uni Challenge and Only Connect 2019 to 2020

6 watchers
Nov 2019
11:49am, 19 Nov 2019
637 posts
  •  
Dibble
Not so successful last night, but my wife got a few including the metric one.

I agree V C-M is a great host, but I also could really do without the end jokes (especially the Michael Portillo ones)
Nov 2019
12:18pm, 19 Nov 2019
18,306 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Hi, I am very late to the party, as when UC started I still had a pile of the previous serious to get through. Still behind, but I've watched the first ten. I scored so-so on the first four, but have picked up a bit. There are some poor teams this year, and some of them are even winning games.

Was behind on OC, but now up to date. I too got the 1m 40s q and felt extra-smug after Victoria's diatribe "who would ever even know this!?" after :-) I also got a five-pointer last night, possibly due to having watched "Sheep In The Big City".

Call me bad, but I get distracted at the start of every single wall, when they go to the shot from behind.
Nov 2019
12:26pm, 19 Nov 2019
29,995 posts
  •  
♪♫ Egnys ♪♫
I love the opening digs at the teams before she introduces them. Here's an example:

“The ghosts of Christmas past, present and future visited me again last night. I’ve begged them to leave me alone, but they just keep coming. They are always there, around this time of year. It feels like I’m constantly staring into the hollowed eyes of a weird, chilling, mismatched trio."

“Let’s meet the teams.”
Nov 2019
1:22pm, 19 Nov 2019
5,087 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I like those too, but ISIHAC did them better. 😀
Dec 2019
9:28pm, 4 Dec 2019
24,831 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Very good last night on catch up got a whole wall really quick thanks to McEwan novels...good start in UC then faded badly......fascinating to see Neil of the Young Ones again.
Jan 2020
8:39pm, 3 Jan 2020
1,808 posts
  •  
Oranj
Tonight's Only Connect special was a good one. Frank Paul [geek swoon alert] was there with an unusual and slightly disturbing childhood reminiscence at the wall round, and an opening question on the music of 2001: A Space Odyssey which I solved in two.
Jan 2020
10:07am, 4 Jan 2020
25,184 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Pretty much enjoyed the UC christmas specials...slightly easier questions and some of the 'celeb' intellectuals appear to know sod all....
Jan 2020
7:47am, 6 Jan 2020
25,195 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
watched a christmas edition of Only connect, old teams, two in particular appeared very smug, most annoying, and actually not very good, don't be smug, but really don't be smug unless you are very good indeed.
Jan 2020
4:15pm, 6 Jan 2020
1,815 posts
  •  
Oranj
Yep, that wasn't a very good example of the series, both teams far too smug. The other rounds were better.
Jan 2020
10:04pm, 7 Jan 2020
1,959 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Just been on Catch up, got the Papal numbers one after 3 clues, don't know why because I am not religious and did well on the first wall, although I did pause the screen. Couldn't find university challenge anywhere!

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
Late to the party this year.....only just watched 6 and 7 of UC...xheeting on Manchester...had a sto...