•  
Little Miss Happy
Me too.
Sep 2020
10:42am, 24 Sep 2020
136 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
Hello! A newbie question: Diagnosed yesterday after a blood test, not yet started medication (prescription is on its way to the chemist), but not sure whether I actually feel symptoms or not, or whether I'm just getting old... A bunch of random things over a few years, that put together fit the bill, though, Does that sound normal to any of you?
Sep 2020
10:45am, 24 Sep 2020
17,102 posts
  •  
northernslowcoach
Yup, I was so relieved to be diagnosed because I was worried I was depressed and imagining my symptoms
Sep 2020
10:59am, 24 Sep 2020
3,392 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Very. I don't want to depress you but in my case getting my levels right hasn't been a magic bullet. I'm still tired, I still put on weight easily and find it difficult to lose, my skin is still dry my hair falls out a lot and I'm prone to episodes of low mood. Having said that I'm much better than I was!
Sep 2020
11:39am, 24 Sep 2020
8,176 posts
  •  
becca7
Exactly the same - I didn't notice massive symptoms as I thought e.g. tiredness was due to running marathons and absent mindedness went with the territory of being a prof. It was only because a doctor friend noticed thryoid swelling that I got a blood test.
Sep 2020
9:31am, 25 Sep 2020
137 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
Thanks everyone. My blood test was done at the same time as checking for menopause. I don't think I would have put any symptoms together enough to mention to a doctor before. I don't exactly put on much exercise, but I'm assuming that's because I probably exercise more than the general public. I had noticed hair loss, but hadn't connected it as anything significant. Tiredness I put down to low iron levels, dry skin to ageing generally.

Doctor said to have another blood test, but I can't remember how long she said to leave it... Dodgy memory is another sign, is it?
Sep 2020
10:28am, 25 Sep 2020
3,405 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Dodgy memory is definitely part of it for me Louise, and what I call brain fog - I sometimes (especially when tired) can't find the right words for things or use the opposite word so I end up with an exasperated 'those things that cut' or yesterday for tomorrow. I'm a little underweight but if I can't run or go on holiday and eat badly for a couple of weeks I put on loads more weight than my husband who will exercise less and eat more in the same period.
Sep 2020
11:23am, 25 Sep 2020
5,256 posts
  •  
Cuddy
I'm still here too. And my damn hair is falling out. Due for blood test so we'll see. On 75 mcg levo.

It turned out that before when I was sleeping endlessly that I was low on b12, folate and vitamin d, despite already being on some supplements No test ever came back with anything new, no coeliac, no h. pylori, nada. I did a health profile on genetic testing and never seen a worse panel, apparently the only nutrient I seem to absorb normally is vitamin c. And it told me I don't suit endurance sports. Explains the liver cravings and hopelessly slow running :-P
Sep 2020
11:40am, 25 Sep 2020
3,409 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
My ferritin is always really low despite regular iron supplements Cuddy. Do you know what your TSH and T4 are? To feel ok I need to run at a low TSH and quite high T4. I'm fortunate that my GP supports this as I've been stable and relatively well at these levels for five years. Didn't stop a trainee at the surgery trying to reduce my meds last year though which caused stress I could have done without. My hair has never stopped falling out and my skin is always dry but the meds definitely help with the fatigue and breathlessness. I was awful when first diagnosed, couldn't walk and talk at the same time. I also have pernicious anaemia.
Sep 2020
8:29pm, 25 Sep 2020
5,257 posts
  •  
Cuddy
Hi LMH :-) I also feel best when my TSH is on the lower side of normal. Iron levels are good. Folate is always a problem but I get horrible stomach pain if I'm put on a 'therapeutic' dose, even a couple days on 1000mcg and I suffer badly. B12 goes in and out but apparently it's not pernicious anaemia, got that tested. I got injections for a while and I was floating on cloud 9 cause I felt gooooooood. But then I got idiotic GPs who didn't agree on treatment plan I was taken off. I get really annoyed with GPs who say well your B12 isn't 'that bad' when it's well below the normal range. I wish they could feel how you feel! Ggrrrr.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hi all, I have just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and I was wondering if there are any ...