Under-trained Half Marathon Strategy

1 watcher
Mar 2015
1:14pm, 2 Mar 2015
472 posts
  •  
westmoors
I did a half last year where my training hadn't gone to plan due to injury and illnesses. I made the mistake of starting of at normal HM pace, but just got slower and slower and finished about 15 minutes slower than I'd wanted. In hind sight I wish I'd started off slower as I'm sure I would have got a better finish time.

Good luck.
Mar 2015
2:12pm, 2 Mar 2015
9,818 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Do you normally ever run/walk? Some people just can't do it. I'd recommend a couple of easy-paced outings this week maybe five or six miles - longer if you r/w them. Not like you need a taper.

I did Glasgow HM with a run walk as under prepared. Ran first 15 minutes then r/w 9/1. The runs shrunk a bit towards the end as I tired: 7/1 would probably have been better. Finished around 2:16, over 20 minutes outside pb.

Bring a whole different mindset to it and you should be fine. Remember to start much further back.
Mar 2015
5:00pm, 2 Mar 2015
249 posts
  •  
mrsdistraction
I was under prepared for Cardiff half last year. A combo of illness, injury, house moving stress and general ill preparedness. I managed to squeak a pb but I'm a slow runner anyway, and I utilised the walk run strategy after mile 9 as my knee was starting to give me trouble.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunningRonnie
I wonder if anyone can help with a strategy for Sunday's HM for me. Although I have done a lot of h...