Ultra training for beginners

169 watchers
Feb 2020
6:53pm, 27 Feb 2020
5,473 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
My husband knows if I buy any expensive kit as I end up fussing about the cost and he tells me to stop being an idiot and buy it.
Feb 2020
6:53pm, 27 Feb 2020
3,567 posts
  •  
mr d
Great tip Rosehip.
Feb 2020
9:59pm, 27 Feb 2020
6,001 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
My wife is an expert at uncovering my financial expenditure on kit. It always ends v badly.
Feb 2020
8:50am, 28 Feb 2020
490 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
Fragile - my hubby is the same, I begrudge spending any money but he's really not bothered!
my ultra on sunday has a kit list - but its not the full one I've seen on others. I have bought a waterproof jacket (not taped seams though) and tested it out and it seems ok but it wasn't expensive so probably not totally waterproof. I do need to dig out a foil blanket as that is on the list
Feb 2020
11:22am, 28 Feb 2020
915 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I was a hill walker before a runner, my philosophy was buy the best gear you can afford, you might get wet or cold eventually, but the longer you aren’t the better.
Feb 2020
11:34am, 28 Feb 2020
5,476 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
The weather gods have seen fit to give me appropriate weather for testing out my new jacket on my run later today. :)
Mar 2020
1:58pm, 2 Mar 2020
492 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
well I did my ultra! thanks all for the advice. In the end I downloaded the OS app onto my phone and the GPX file onto that - it was excellent! It probably was a fairly straightforward route anyway but it gave me a great peace of mind to watch the little pointer float along the route line :)

I ran with a running friend and she a was a perfect companion for me being a very positive lady and we both just wanted to get it done, we walked a fair amount - especially along the canal in the dark! but we had a good walking pace

not sure if I will do more ultras - certainly nothing too long as its made me realise I just don't have the time to train as I would like, and also its a long time to be on your feet, staggering through mud is not really my cup of tea although I do like canals and trails :)
Mar 2020
2:21pm, 2 Mar 2020
38,394 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Good stuff - well done
Mar 2020
2:36pm, 2 Mar 2020
15,203 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Well done Jenni :) How do you feel today?

Hannington Hike for me yesterday, ~28 miles of mud. Had always planned it as a jog-walk, but there was more walk than I would have liked and the mud made that walk slower than it should have been.
Hopefully it was good time-on-feet practice and hasn't taken too much out so I can get on and keep training.
Mar 2020
3:25pm, 2 Mar 2020
5,480 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Well done Jenni, I hope you are not too done in today :)

I have my 20 mile race this coming weekend which is serving as a training run/kit check/practice on hills. I’m stressing most about the kit.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...