Ultra training for beginners

169 watchers
Jul 2022
8:28am, 13 Jul 2022
18,359 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I've seen very well prepared and experienced ultra runners here in Scotland (in mid summer) be borderline hypothermic and have to DNF or seriously impaired their races. G

The arguments on The Wall FB group about carrying base layers in mid June where forecast was very favourable. I had no issue carrying it just some clear guidance would have been helpful & I always had a plan to wear a jacket after Hexham which was very much needed despite the high day temps.
Jul 2022
8:36am, 13 Jul 2022
25,779 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I put gloves and a jacket on at 3am in July last year, was flippin’ freezing coming out of the Chapel Stile cp.
They didn’t stay on long once I’d got moving and the sun came up, but I wouldn’t have wanted to be without the warm layers - especially if stationary or moving really slowly.
Jul 2022
8:53am, 13 Jul 2022
42,924 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The hyponatremia that you can get from over hydration is pretty awful. I think on West Highland Way race they had one case and it was quite serious, so there are always warnings to not over hydrate, but only drink to thirst, not to a fixed plan.

Supporting my pal this year for last 15 miles, 5 hours from midnight to 05.00, despite being reasonably mild and only occasional heavy rain showers, I was glad of the full long waterproof trousers and 3 layers including waterproof jacket that we chose to wear, and hat and gloves! When moving slowly at the end of a race, a bit of elevation (2,000 ft?) and even occasional heavy showers can very quickly cool you down, and not generating much heat with a 20 min/mile pace.

And I had one extra of everything in my pack in case it got worse too! :-) G
Jul 2022
9:08am, 13 Jul 2022
311 posts
  •  
SimonF
"Debbie’s was muscle spasm after The Spine but Damian’s was due to over hydration, on the race (forgot what it was)"

It was on his Coast to Coast record last year, GG.
Jul 2022
12:53pm, 13 Jul 2022
25,781 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Fetchpoint for the London Marathon - you get to see a lot of leaners, too much water is more common than it ought to be. Not sure if that’s the only cause or not, but you do sometimes hear StJohns folks calling ‘another leaner, keep an eye on’
Jul 2022
7:12pm, 13 Jul 2022
17,036 posts
  •  
NDWDave
That’s right next to a river if I remember correctly? Rivers at night are brutally cold
I put gloves and a jacket on at 3am in July last year, was flippin’ freezing coming out of the Chapel Stile cp. They didn’t stay on long once I’d got moving and the sun came up, but I wouldn’t have wanted to be without the warm layers - especially if stationary or moving really slowly.
Jul 2022
7:36pm, 13 Jul 2022
18,361 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Same as The Wall you could feel the temperature drop as we made it down to the river.
MsG
Jul 2022
3:30pm, 14 Jul 2022
2,135 posts
  •  
MsG
This is cycling rather than running experience of night time travel / exercise but possibly relevant.
It gets surprisingly cold overnight, particularly near to water or at/below sea level, especially when most and fog come down. The Ely - King's Lynn overnight 80 miler I led end of April this year was rapidly down to "feels like" -1C when the mist came up from the river. Last year it was around -5 (same time of year) as the low lying mist next to the Lodes came in earlier.

I do warn riders about the cold, to bring appropriate layers, i.e. more than you think you're going to need. It was still a surprise to some of them. It is quite a jump down, bearing in mind evening and morning temps were around 15C.

I pack enough foil blankets and a heatpack for everyone (it's usually about 6) but I'm wondering if I should implement a kit inspection!

I'm doing a night ride this weekend, the overnight temps are meant to be around 11-15C now but I'm still going to take leg warmers, and a rain jacket / gilet (they pack small).
MsG
Jul 2022
3:33pm, 14 Jul 2022
2,136 posts
  •  
MsG
And I've managed to over hydrate, July 2020, felt really nauseous, stomach sloshing with water, had to cut a chunk off the ride. I've got better at sipping occasionally!
Aug 2022
12:09pm, 2 Aug 2022
34,506 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
anyone done the 50K Round Reading Ultra (was last weekend)?

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...