Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Ultra training for beginners

153 watchers
2 Aug
9:32am, 2 Aug 2021
6884 posts
  •  
minardi
Any advice re power banks? I have a funny feeling that my garmin isn't going to last a 12 hour cut off race - and my phone might not either!
2 Aug
9:35am, 2 Aug 2021
15344 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Garmins use a tiny amount of power so even the cheapest smallest one will fill it multiple times. I put my phone on low power during races which helps it to last.
2 Aug
9:41am, 2 Aug 2021
6885 posts
  •  
minardi
Thank you :-)
2 Aug
9:45am, 2 Aug 2021
15825 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
Although my "old" solar powered powerbank only took my mobile phone back up to about 65%, and the freebie one only added another 10%..... Both are a bit old and not used much otherwise, so I guess they may well be less than efficient!
Moral of the story is let your device run down a long way, then try to charge it from your powerbank and see how much it will recharge!

Most Garmin's do use a lot less power than a mobile phone, though. ;-)
2 Aug
9:49am, 2 Aug 2021
51271 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Stef my wife has done well of late charging both her Garmin and phone using a cheap power bank bought on line. A friend got a lightweight job from Halfords. I think main thing is ensuring the cable is well attached at the phone end. As above posters have said a watch barely uses any charge
2 Aug
9:49am, 2 Aug 2021
21971 posts
  •  
Rosehip
The smallest Pebble charges my Garmin at least twice as Dave says, they don't need much.
- that's my learning for next time - leave the Garmin on it's normal settings and recharge it rather than trying to get it to last the distance - because ultra track is rubbish ;)
2 Aug
9:55am, 2 Aug 2021
15345 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I’ve got a pebble one which is a bit fancier but I also have one I bought from TKMaxx. Typically a small one is 2,000mah and a full phone charge is about the same. A garmin is maybe 300 at most. I’ve also got a massive 15,000 one for multi day stuff
2 Aug
9:56am, 2 Aug 2021
15828 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
RH, my lesson was also to take the right cable to charge the watch..... <D'Oh!> 😣
2 Aug
11:24am, 2 Aug 2021
15294 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
We have quite a bulky solar charger which I took to RttC, however, I had a plan that I would pick it up off support crew #1 drop off with crew #2 I only just made it for the phone which decided for some unknown reason to eat through battery at a rate of knots despite being on low power mode! So a pebble will be invested in for any future ultras (or a new phone) my Fenix 6 lasted right through but did die about 2hrs after finishing.
17 Aug
4:08pm, 17 Aug 2021
5224 posts
  •  
mr d
Got the backpack from Decathlon, thanks for the suggestion to try it as M/L fitted better than XL which is what came up on the size guide. Got some of tge Evadict waterproof trousers too.

My Brother in law also recommended the Decathlon pack, he has the previous version, but he used a Salomon 12l at Lakeland 50.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...