Ultra training for beginners

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Jul 2021
7:27am, 27 Jul 2021
15,255 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I did race to the castle which was 100k as it was so well supported it wasn’t fully packed by any stretch but I did carry all essentials and more.
Jul 2021
8:28am, 27 Jul 2021
15,259 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
On ultras…. My friend suffered terribly with shins after RttC. She is still suffering with a bit of swelling in one foot and after the race the other subsided but after our 10m run on Sunday they’re a bit swollen again. Is that normal and is there anything she can do to help it? Thanks on her behalf.
Jul 2021
8:35am, 27 Jul 2021
39,325 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just rest I think - check that it isn't compartment syndrome (santababy got that on one of her West Highland Way races - agony and dangerous. Can lose a lower limb.) Could be a stress fracture too, in which case 4-6 weeks rest for it to heal properly.

Ultras are mega. Body can take a real beating, dontchaknow?! Just cos we normalise it with all the amazing folk on here doing multiple hundred milers, month after month - even a 50km for the first time is a big shock to the body. Hope she heals well. :-)G
Jul 2021
9:09am, 27 Jul 2021
15,261 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks 😊G I’ll pass that on. She saw her physio who thought it wasnt stress fracture.

I had a foot tattoo done last week it killed more than the other foot I did wonder if it was still a bit sensitive from the race but I toughed it out.
Jul 2021
1:27pm, 27 Jul 2021
2,934 posts
  •  
Snoot
Agree with FF & GG on the race vest fit, I had a small Decathlon one that wasn't comfy and fell apart so did some internet research and was opting for a UD one. Went in to Kong and tried 5 or 6 on which they loaded up with kit. The UD just didn't fit, the Inov-8 two piece one didn't feel secure but the Salomon 12l fitted really well. Only issue I've had with it is some chaffing on lower back after a very sweaty run the other week so copious bodyglide will be used next time...
Jul 2021
3:38pm, 27 Jul 2021
5,166 posts
  •  
mr d
Thanks all, will go to Decathlon when we are in Lancs next month, we don't have a local one.
Jul 2021
10:17am, 30 Jul 2021
15,282 posts
  •  
NDWDave
If you are buying a race vest, I can massively recommend going for one with the two bottles on the front, rather than on the sides or a bladder. For racing, it makes things so much easier. Unless you are doing something really niche, you shouldn't need a bladder style one.

Most do but my UD one has a stupid "burrito pocket" which you can squeeze a soft flask in just about. The other side has a normal bottle holder
Jul 2021
10:22am, 30 Jul 2021
15,272 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
My rat race can (with a hit of effort) take 2 500ml soft flasks at the front it is definitely a huge plus for me (shame they don’t fit better) so totally agree with you NDWDave.

My rat race bag had to be returned due to a minor fault new one on its way to me! Can’t fault the pack or customer service.
Jul 2021
10:34am, 30 Jul 2021
39 posts
  •  
Sparkee
I have a saloman 12l pack with 2x 500ml soft flasks on the front but it can also take a bladder.

In training I've been carrying an additional litre in the bladder. Working on 500ml per hour for a 4h range. But the 2kg at the start is significant and I'd like to drop to just the soft flasks for the race.

It's 11 miles to the first checkpoint, mid August on Dartmoor. Do I put an extra 500ml in a bladder to be on the safe side?
Jul 2021
10:50am, 30 Jul 2021
21,944 posts
  •  
Rosehip
also have a UD with the Burrito pocket - other than that it's brilliant, tempted to treat myself to an upgrade.

Sparkee - I'd take the extra. I don't usually drink much at all, but managed to nearly empty both 500ml bottles by the first ~11 mile checkpoint on Saturday in the heat.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...