Ultra training for beginners

169 watchers
Mar 2021
9:43pm, 8 Mar 2021
2,560 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Which flanker illustrates perfectly that as with the perennial shoe question there is no single or right answer. There is only what works for an individual. Sure there are some underlying principles but ultimately the (unwanted) answer to most questions around ultra running is that I can tell you the basics and what works for me but to find the right answer for yourself you need to go away, experiment and make (lots of) mistakes. Not that all those selling their services as coaches want anyone to say that too loudly 😉
Mar 2021
10:18pm, 8 Mar 2021
13,714 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Indeed ff. I will do back to backs but for me I have to k so I can hit a distance my biggest worry in the ultra is I won’t get anywhere near the distance in training, possibly only half way.

I am thinking of doing some of the types of challenges like run the sun so 1m every hour but possibly doing 2m during daylight and 1m at dark (while I know where I live is safe there is something a bit scary going out at 2am on my own we’ll see.
Mar 2021
1:55am, 9 Mar 2021
19,737 posts
  •  
flanker
ff, spot on. And that's what makes it so interesting.

It's also probably why all the young superstars that keep bursting onto the top-level scene tend to disappear after a year or two of winning high-profile races, while there's a load of "old-timers" who keep going year after year.

gg, you don't need to get anywhere near race distance in training for the longer races. Again it will vary, but my rule of thumb was anything over c. 50 miles and it's more about mental strength than physical. If those sort of challenges interest you then go for it, but training specific to the event is likely to serve you better if it's an either/or choice. When it comes down to it, whatever you do needs to be enjoyable, as if not why bother?
Mar 2021
8:11am, 9 Mar 2021
13,718 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks flanker I’m a glutton for a challenge 😬

I think the thing with long distances is all previous (under marathon) races I’ve done the distance before race day but you’re so right it is the mental toughness to get through and the 24hr thing I thought might give me some toughness training to get out there. I’m quite relaxed though if it doesn’t happen that’s fine too.
Mar 2021
1:25pm, 16 Mar 2021
13,857 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Found this on a FB group thought I’d share

precisionhydration.com
Apr 2021
7:55pm, 8 Apr 2021
14,312 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I’m doing threshold sports race to the castle. They did a live Q&A with a lovely lady Kelly who gave some excellent tips for newbies to ultra running. They recorded it and can be found here on Instagram instagram.com

Def worth a watch.
May 2021
6:10pm, 3 May 2021
14,494 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Hi guys just 8 little weeks to Run to the Castle & I’ve been looking at my training so far. Run & walk miles:

January - 110 - 68
February - 112 - 58
March - 160 - 61
April - 168 - 89

I’ve done 3 13+, 1 full mara, 2 @ 20-21, 3 @ 10 and most others have been 5-8

Rest of this month for my longs I’m planning 20 this weekend, 26-30 week after, then around 15-16, 20 and start to drop miles back come start of June

Some of my run and back to back or doubled with decent walks.

Based on the pace I’m at and comfortable wkrh I think I’m looking at 16-18 hours.

I’ve been doing a fair bit of yoga type strength/stretching and conscious I need to add in some more strength workouts.

I’ve nailed nutrition I have historically struggled massively to eat and run I’m now finding I’m watching my watch for next snack intake and getting better on hydration.

I’m worried I’ve not done enough long stuff but then I look at my friend I’m running with and I’ve done a lot more than she has so I’m hoping I’ve got enough to get me round.

From those of you with more experience, my plans for the next few weeks am I missing anything?

I admit I’m eating sleeping drinking and dreaming ultras 😂 I’m reading rise of the ultra runner, just bought Older yet Faster (as I run minimalist the strength training in there seems excellent) I’m listening to running podcasts mostly with ultra runner guests - good job I have The Wall to continue training for as I don’t know what else could fill all this time.
May 2021
6:12pm, 3 May 2021
14,759 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I think you are in a great spot with that training
May 2021
6:14pm, 3 May 2021
49,961 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
You doing 100 or 50 K gg?

As Dave said you look in a great place to me
May 2021
6:21pm, 3 May 2021
7,593 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Rise of the Ultra Runners is a superb book. His account of the UTMB and conflicting emotions were 100% on the button.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...