Ultra training for beginners

169 watchers
Mar 2021
9:42am, 8 Mar 2021
11,550 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I have a similar question :-) I am planning on 100km in 24 hours at this years Endure 24 (fingers crossed it goes ahead). What would people recommend for training? I am running in a pair, we will probably do 10 miles on, 10 miles off, apart from over night where it will be 15 miles/15 miles so I have a chance of a bit of shut-eye.

I'm running 50K in 3 weeks and am currently running 45-55 miles/ week so the distance shouldn't be an issue I'm guessing. Should I do specific training in the lead-up, like 10 miles x3 on a Sunday, maybe even working up to back to back multiple run days?
Mar 2021
9:53am, 8 Mar 2021
59 posts
  •  
The wee beastie
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look at some of those links. I am doing the Clydestride ultra. It's a mix of road and trail and relatively flat so I don't think it is too much of a step-up for a first ultra.

I have managed to maintain a reasonable mileage base while not having anything to train for so need to plan to build on that. I think my longest ever training run was about 24 miles. I'm not sure what to aim for a longest training run for an ultra. and if I do two long runs back to back what should be the total distance and would the distance be split evenly?
Mar 2021
10:01am, 8 Mar 2021
4,127 posts
  •  
StuH
Sam posted the RFP plans on p104...
Mar 2021
10:01am, 8 Mar 2021
20,006 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Most of the back to back seem to be longer the first day and a less long second, advising the second is on trail

There is loads and loads of advice on irunfar.com
Mar 2021
10:16am, 8 Mar 2021
8,006 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I’ve just had a eureka moment and realised I’ve been really dumb. :)

I’ve been looking at the beginner 50k plans which tend to start from a base of around 30-35 miles a week. I’m currently averaging around 20 miles a week running plus run/walking and was worrying how the hell I was going to work up to the starting mileage of these plans.

Then I realised that, as I’m planning to part run, part walk my 50k, that I can include my walking mileage as part of my training. My current mileage on foot is around 35 miles a week so hurrah, my base is ok! 😅

I’ve been a bit thrown by the way I log training on this site - run and run/walks get logged as runs but if it’s only walking it gets logged as a walk.
Mar 2021
10:17am, 8 Mar 2021
13,691 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I do back to back runs this week was 7.5m Friday 21.5m Saturday & 6m walk Sunday.

I often do the longer one first shorter 2nd just depends on my life & what works.

I am aiming to get my long runs to 30 with at least 1 maybe 2 marathon distance (my ultra is end of June)

Thought is marathon end of March
30 in April
Marathon in May

Plus other longer run days which will be double days, long run + reasonable walk, or long run long walk B2B

I’m also going to try some 24hr challenges just from home so few loops through daylight hours and maybe mile every hour during dark but whether I manage full 24hrs I don’t know 😂

I am only looking to finish with a smile and injury free

I’m doing The Wall next year so this year is a trial for that and I’ll continue to build to that too.

Good luck everyone.
Mar 2021
10:18am, 8 Mar 2021
13,693 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I did that too FDNB add in my walks I’m flying!
Mar 2021
11:48am, 8 Mar 2021
6,036 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Walking ('briskly') is an under-rated skill.

Unless you're at the sharp end for most Ultras, walking will be involved.

Walking is very valid training, in my opinion.
Mar 2021
11:52am, 8 Mar 2021
16,342 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Agree. Mr AL's training plan last year involved about as much walking/hiking as running. He credits his performance (finished in top 150) as mostly due to his ability to walk as swiftly as many people were running during the second half of the race.
Mar 2021
11:56am, 8 Mar 2021
16,553 posts
  •  
jennywren
I'm doing Race to the King this June and I'm adding in my walks as training for it as well as runs. I was walking quite fast last year (sub 16 minute miles) but it's slipped a bit lately so I'm training myself up again. Definitely planning on running and walking on the day so it makes sense.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...