Ultra Training Advice Wanted!

2 watchers
Feb 2012
8:16pm, 18 Feb 2012
3 posts
  •  
JammyHL
Having started with the CQ last year and now done most of the current Endurance Life CTS series I want to set my sights further (higher) and aim for a 100km and then a 100M. However I am very slow (about a 7:40min/km pace currently over 50km) and struggle to go much further. What advice on getting faster and going further?
Feb 2012
7:12am, 19 Feb 2012
2,183 posts
  •  
heebiejeebie
I'm trying to speed up over shorter distances (up to and including marathon) first before having another crack at an ultra. It'll be a while though before I can tell you if it works!
Feb 2012
8:49am, 19 Feb 2012
1,055 posts
  •  
ultracollie
i would agree with heebs, speed work is important i spent lots of training time over the winter working on my 5km time and on getting my 10 mile time down ,
hill reps and fartlek on the coastal path upto 15 miles but for me working on form and a relaxed running style over terrain of races is what gets your time down.
in the 100km/100mile races working on hydration and food intake is vital. not sure what your strategy is at the moment re intake of fuel and run walk during races.
pop into the ultra thread and speak to the real experts,

how did you find the CQ i am booked in for this year :-)
Feb 2012
9:52am, 19 Feb 2012
5 posts
  •  
JammyHL
I hydrate with 2-4 mouthfuls of SIS GO every 1-2km, plus one of a gel, flapjack or bagel every hour. Carb load for a 2-3 days before and a good breakfast of porridge. I've noticed I can go for 6-7 hours like this and don't need the loo en-route or after so feel fairly balanced.

The CQ was a great race - beautiful route - unfortunately I had bad ITB problems which slowed me down massively from about 30 miles. If it was another 44 miles race I'd be aiming for sub-10 hour, now its a 60 got to decide if I'm ready for the extra distance. THe good news is my physio totally sorted my ITB - no hint of it at the CTS South Devon yesterday. I'll check out the ultra thread next!
Feb 2012
9:55am, 19 Feb 2012
1,059 posts
  •  
ultracollie
the CQ is still a 44 in it's own right however the UTSW is a 60 and 100 respectivley so a sub 10 is def a poss for the CQ, good news on the physio sorting out your ITB. :-)
Feb 2012
10:22am, 19 Feb 2012
5,191 posts
  •  
Binks
Hi Jammy. What kind of 100k/100m are you thinking of. Looking at your race history it seems you have only done the brutally hard ultras such as the CQ. The 100 mile equivalent of those are things like the UTMB and Hardrock which are pretty damn hard.

Speedwork works for some, not for all on distances over 50m. I know runners who get by fine doing none of it, it depends what you can fit in.

I reckon (assuming you are not injured) that you go for the 60 and treat it like a day out. Most things I've learnt about running ultras have been done while running them and if you are doing the other CTS events they would be great training.

I also recommend Bryon Powel "Relentless Forward Progress" as a read for any ultra runner. Lots of great advice, good contributions from other runners and some physiological stuff in there too.
Feb 2012
10:58am, 19 Feb 2012
6 posts
  •  
JammyHL
I'd love to qualify for the UTMB next year so was thinking about trying to do the Centurion South Downs Way and the Ridgeway Challenge as qualifiers. Its getting beyond the 55km distance that feels hardest at the moment.

I'll look up "Relentless Forward Progress" - thanks!
Feb 2012
11:09am, 19 Feb 2012
5,193 posts
  •  
Binks
Both of those are great events.

The distance thing is in your head. There are physical walls you hit all the time and its a case of learning not to panic when they happen and just keep moving forward. I was nervous about stepping up from 50ish k up to about 80k. Then from 80k up to 240k including running through the night. You'll still get hungry and tired and all that but the legs can keep moving.

Are you doing the Sussex CTS next month?
Feb 2012
11:19am, 19 Feb 2012
7 posts
  •  
JammyHL
Its the only CTS I can't do as I'm in South Africa for the Cape Epic (and its on my doorstep!). Will be back for the last 2 (they've added Flete now).
Feb 2012
3:01pm, 19 Feb 2012
427 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I think Binks makes some good points above Jammy. Doing ultras is as much about getting 'hard' as it is about getting fit if not more so. I'd say do some more long runs and you'll improve. Basically, don't try and rush it too much. The good news is it sounds like you have your nutrition sorted

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by JammyHL
Having started with the CQ last year and now done most of the current Endurance Life CTS series I wa...