•  
Derby Tup
I think we went t'opposite way to the race ie up your descent from the bridge
Sep 2016
9:33am, 2 Sep 2016
7 posts
  •  
cragchick
I did the TdS last week ... OMG, the heat!!! Have never done any races outside the UK, my observation from the TdS is that if you are regular scrambler/mountain person then the TdS shouldn't freak you out too much, but if sheer drops and boulders are not your thing then steer well clear!!! The climb out of BSM was like walking through a war zone with people sitting gazing around, one guy was in the recovery position awaiting rescue, it was all quite a sight!! Some say the TdS is equal in difficulty to the big brother UTMB but I would say that the sheer extra distance/height gain will outweigh that arguement ... anyway, I LOVED the TdS but will be another year before I get enough points to do the UTMB ballot for the big one :-)
Sep 2016
10:46am, 2 Sep 2016
195 posts
  •  
redpanda
yea, the heat was intense. i forgot to bring s-caps and relied on broth/soup for my salt intake. no surprise that my quad threatened to cramp up several times.
Sep 2016
12:55pm, 2 Sep 2016
4,108 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Cragchick, at least you battled through to the finish :-)

Interesting what you have to say about the terrain, I thought it was definitely rockier and more gnarly than the CCC/UTMB route, but nothing outrageous and the descents weren't too steep, however I guess it's all relative to the type of running you do. I was OK running in my usual ultra shoes, but there were definitely a couple of places where I'd have sold my soul for a pair of X-Talons :-)

I wouldn't agree that the TDS is equal in difficulty to the UTMB and you're right that the extra distance/time/height tips the balance. Those extra 30 miles/8,000ft make all the difference, mainly because most people are out for two nights and that's what grinds you down.

RP - don't know what I'd have done without the S-caps, I doubt I would have survived in that heat.
Nov 2017
10:55am, 21 Nov 2017
4,521 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
It's coming round to that time ... anyone here throwing their hat into the ballot? Bobs has enough points for the UTMB, but I've decided not to do it again. I'm tempted by the OCC just to say I've done 'em all, but then I'd have to go and and find a PTL team that would have me :-)
Nov 2017
12:21pm, 21 Nov 2017
1,062 posts
  •  
Gromit
I'm chucking my name in the hat for the CCC this time around :-)
Nov 2017
1:17pm, 21 Nov 2017
4,522 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
It was the one I enjoyed most of all. I think the CCC is the most accessible of the big three UTMB races, still a big challenge of course, but not as bonkers as the TDS or the full UTMB.
Nov 2017
1:22pm, 21 Nov 2017
1,063 posts
  •  
Gromit
well if all goes well next year then who knows for the following 2 years ........... the points will have hopefully have built up ...... ;-)
Nov 2017
1:32pm, 21 Nov 2017
4,523 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
That's brave talk Gromit. Good luck!

About This Thread

Maintained by Binks
5 more days to get your name in the hat.

ultratrailmb.com