Ultra Marathons

4 lurkers | 455 watchers
Oct 2022
6:13am, 1 Oct 2022
6,676 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Great North Run ring any bells Flanker? ;-)

They’re organising Ultra London 55 next weekend so I’ll report back on how that goes
Oct 2022
9:09am, 1 Oct 2022
1,806 posts
  •  
paulcook
Didn’t spot it was Great Run until then.

Is this an existing race that they’ve bought? I thought all their races came under the same naming banner.
Oct 2022
6:15pm, 1 Oct 2022
20,721 posts
  •  
flanker
Never pay any attention to it Pothunter ;-)

Doesn't strike me as the ideal company to organise a small ultra, but will await your feedback!
Oct 2022
7:41pm, 1 Oct 2022
3,511 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Given how much of a commercial organisation Great Run are, how much competition there is the market in The Lakes and how participation levels seem to be dropping I give it no more than a couple of years before Great Run decide it's not a worthwhile event for them. I think covid has meant that they've missed the opportunity they thought was there.
Oct 2022
7:50pm, 1 Oct 2022
20,723 posts
  •  
flanker
I think you're right ff. Which in some ways is a shame as it looks a decent route, and with the L100 always oversubscribed another good 100+ wouldn't go amiss. But don't think it's Great Run's game.
Oct 2022
8:01pm, 1 Oct 2022
26,624 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I have a niggling thought that I can’t quite crystallise - that’s a worry about LDNP being involved and getting a cut - do they have any say over permits for other events?
Oct 2022
8:33pm, 1 Oct 2022
3,513 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
I have a niggling thought that I can’t quite crystallise - that’s a worry about LDNP being involved and getting a cut - do they have any say over permits for other events?

I suspect so RH. Certainly in the Peak Park the NP should be consulted when putting on events. Not everyone does (some certainly believe that if you stick to PROWs you don't require permission but officially you do) but for a big, well advertised event that would potentially not be a smart move. For events off PROWs eg across access land you also need the land owner's permission eg NT and they tend to work hand in hand with NPAs.
Oct 2022
8:48pm, 1 Oct 2022
595 posts
  •  
OverTheHillToo
So right-to-roam doesn't cover a race?
Oct 2022
9:05pm, 1 Oct 2022
3,515 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
So right-to-roam doesn't cover a race?

The CROW Act in England which created the open access areas essentially covered the rights of individuals on foot. Once you start organising events you still need permissions (Scotland is different and I'm not sure about Wales but I suspect it's as England). It also doesn't grant any additional rights to cyclists unless the land owners do (not that you'd know that it if you look at strava heat maps for mtb routes) or to dog owners who should stick to PROWs unless the land owner gives permission (again observations would suggest most are ignorant of that distinction). Hence many tracks within open access areas on the NYM have signs highlighting bikes and dogs are not permitted.
Oct 2022
9:09pm, 1 Oct 2022
1,986 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
No, it has exceptions for commercial activities and organized games.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.