Ultra Marathons

454 watchers
Apr 2021
9:58am, 3 Apr 2021
20,518 posts
  •  
Rosehip
(Maybe FF, but it says runners only no walkers and my run pace is walking pace for you fit people!)
Apr 2021
10:22am, 3 Apr 2021
2,636 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
RH you'd certainly be fine on the Half, which is a nice route and a good introduction. The tail end of the half is typically around 4.5 hours. The 'no walkers' bit is to discourage those who really have no intention of doing any running at all. There are plenty of stretches of relatively easy going to help keep your pace up.

And most importantly the food and cake at the end is superb and plentiful! (so plentiful that I still usually end up with a good stock for my freezer afterwards 😉)
Apr 2021
10:41am, 3 Apr 2021
20,521 posts
  •  
Rosehip
well if there are any spaces and I'm unbroken in August, remind me again :)
Apr 2021
10:46am, 3 Apr 2021
2,639 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
I'll remember that. 😀
Apr 2021
2:36pm, 3 Apr 2021
19,779 posts
  •  
flanker
Always had an eye on doing the whole of the Limestone Way, having run on several bits of it over the years.

If there's a plentiful supply of cake it maybe doing it as an event is the way to go :-).

Didn't known you were involved with D&W ff. They were just one of the many event organisers that sprang up around the same time, and some of them were rather dodgy so was always wary of parting with cash when I didn't know who was behind them (and sometimes even more so when I did!).
Apr 2021
3:24pm, 3 Apr 2021
19,780 posts
  •  
flanker
Look like Marcus smashed it. 06:24:50 on the tracker.
Apr 2021
3:25pm, 3 Apr 2021
2,641 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
D&W was started around 25 years ago by a long term friend of mine (amongst many other things they initiated and ran the Rab MM for many years before selling it on to Ourea but over the years they've done everything from trail races to sportives via mtb orienteering). For many years I ran/cycled many of their events as a competitor but when I stopped working four and a bit years ago they asked if I would interested in becoming part of the team. I mainly provide 'legs' for putting out and collecting route signs and for doing the course checks ahead of the first runners (we normally sign-up the day before and sometimes things get moved overnight). The original owner was joined by a co-owner a few years ago and at the end of 2019 sold his share and took a step backward (he's in his late 60s) but pandemics permitting not a lot will change, it's all the same folk involved and the same approach.
Apr 2021
3:30pm, 3 Apr 2021
2,642 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
I managed to see Marcus (very briefly) about 4 hours in and he was flying along. When I saw him he had company and he looked totally relaxed. With the wind behind like he had it's fantastic running conditions here today (into the wind is not so good, cold and constantly making it hard work). It has a proper FKT now 😀 though I'll be interested to see if the FKT website still credits me with the S - N FKT?
Apr 2021
11:54am, 4 Apr 2021
19,781 posts
  •  
flanker
Thanks ff. I knew about them from the Rab back in the day, but hadn't made the connection!

And you'll still have the vets FKT :-)
Apr 2021
3:34pm, 4 Apr 2021
2,647 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Sadly Flanker that's only true if we classify vets as O50! Marcus is V45.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.