Ultra marathon kit

8 watchers
Aug 2017
3:56pm, 21 Aug 2017
1,815 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I prefer the (latest AK) UD vests to Salomon S-lab. I hated my Salomon, no zip on the main storage pouch, zips that seize up elsewhere, stupid clips, all the pockets in the wrong place...

Shoes are too personal for me to comment on, but I am a minimal Inov8 person rather than Hoka.
Aug 2017
3:12pm, 23 Aug 2017
27,234 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Love my Inov-8 F-lites for trail and X-talons for mud/grass/ slippy stuff, but for rocky, long ultras the Hoka's gave me more protection. Other (many, many other) shoes are available. As jd says, v personal. :-) G
Aug 2017
6:37pm, 23 Aug 2017
5 posts
  •  
chris.purse
thanks for suggestions.
Aug 2017
6:43pm, 23 Aug 2017
4,389 posts
  •  
NDWDave
The Ud Scott Jurek vest has served me well. I have used it for Centurion 100 miles races and it has enough room if you pack carefully (and stops you packing the kitchen sink). I've tested the salomon one and that seemed quite comfy too
Aug 2017
6:45pm, 23 Aug 2017
4,390 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I've loved my salomon bonatti jacket. Not the most breathable but great in bad conditions.

Avoid the petzl nao as it is expensive and crap battery life (I must have been unlucky but I have also heard others have had problems)
Aug 2017
6:48pm, 23 Aug 2017
2,263 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Chris, for best recommendations we probably need more details of your requirements, ie

headtorch - how many hours are you needing ? ie is it just a safety thing for a summer race, or a 24 hour run in mid-winter needing about 18 hours worth of light ? Battery durability can vary greatly, some really bright torches only last a few hours on full power, others will last for ages.

Pack - what volume are you looking for ? Compulsory race kit can vary greatly depending on time of year and distance.

Shoes - what terrain will you be running on, easy canal path, rough rocky wet trail, etc ?

Jacket - most people will spend decent amount on a jacket as it could be a life saver, but maybe you just want a cheapo with taped seams that will pass a kit check ?
Aug 2017
6:49pm, 23 Aug 2017
6 posts
  •  
chris.purse
Main problem I have had with trail shoes is clogging up with mud, so that they get like huge heavy plates and I have to stop and clean them.

Innov 8 mud claw and more mile cheviot both had that problem and both uppers wore out quickly.

The mud claws were so stiff and inflexible that they were uncomfotable to run in. The more mile were much more comfortable, but the sole was inflexible.

My ideal would be like a lightweight racing flat with some spaced out studs (to prevent clogging up). Obviously X-country spikes are not the answer because trails could have sections of gravel / rock or road.
Aug 2017
6:56pm, 23 Aug 2017
2,264 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Check the Inov8 X-Talon 212 ( 6mm drop ) or X-Talon 200 ( 4mm drop I think ) - the studs are more widely spaced that the Mudclaw.

You can get the 212 in an old colour for £55 at sportsshoes.com
Aug 2017
7:24pm, 23 Aug 2017
4,391 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Also when and where are you planning to run/race? I've run almost all my races in road shoes. If it is a summer ultra, mud shouldn't be an issue

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Any ultramarathoners out there can you recommend best for weight and comfort:

Headtorch (100 lume...