8 watchers
Aug 2017
3:56pm, 18 Aug 2017
3 posts
  •  
chris.purse
Any ultramarathoners out there can you recommend best for weight and comfort:

Headtorch (100 lumens)
Running vest with storagefor bottles and race kit (comfortable as possible)
Waterproof with hood.
Trail shoes (light as possible)
Aug 2017
4:08pm, 18 Aug 2017
27,201 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Chris - welcome to Fetch posting.

I had the Ultimate Direction PB vest , that's the one with the most storage and the 2 front bottles on the front. I had solid bottles but I think it comes with soft ones now. Very comfortable, lots of storage, versatile, well made, survived a couple of years of abuse pretty well. Not cheap. But I was bought it as a present.

This is a Fetchie's shop - outrunultrarunning.com

Trail shoes, I like Inov-8 X-talons. Light, great grip, last well, good toe and sole protection but no cushioning, so you need to be adapted to them.

A variation is Hoka Rapa Nui - even better foot protection for long ultra and for v. rocky trail. But much less grippy. Think ultra trail, not fell running.

I'll leave others to cover head torch and waterproof - didn't need good ones. I have cheap alpkit 15 quid head torch and a decathlon 18 quid one, which did fine, but my ultras were mid summer in Scotland so lots of light! And waterproof I use cheap ones with lots of layers under like a fleece, normal t-shirt etc. Worked for me!

Good luck :-) G
Aug 2017
4:52pm, 18 Aug 2017
4 posts
  •  
chris.purse
thank you
Aug 2017
8:00pm, 18 Aug 2017
603 posts
  •  
Oranj
Last time this subject came up, these were recommended for cheap n cheerful FRA-kit, (

h18orr.com ) but they've been out of stock of the more common sizes now for nearly a year, so maybe look elsewhere now.

For a headtorch, I also have an Alpkit. Plenty good enough for a normal night ultra. You only need something more powerful when you're involved in serious night navigation.

I've got an Inov8 vest bought 2nd hand, and fit it with a camelbak reservoir for long runs leaving the front pockets clear for food.

Everyone has their favourite shoes, that's a minefield (I've used Hoka Challenger ATR with success, the Inov8 trail shoes don't have enough cushioning for me, I save those for short XC races).
Aug 2017
8:04pm, 18 Aug 2017
1,834 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
HapprGrrr makes good suggestions, I have that pack too. However, it is not my favourite. The *most* comfortable is an S-Lab 5, but it depends what you need. I currently favour an OMM Ultra 8 with Pods on the straps and a compressor pack for winter gear when you need more volume. Sits higher up which I prefer. Where a pack puts it's load can be quite personal. As can how you get it on off, that S-Lab pack is a swine with cold hands for example with it's tiny clips.

Waterproof, well for me it's an OMM Kamleika because it's a material that I can tolerate wearing. Other rustley type waterproofs annoy me to the point where I wont wear them if possible, which defeats the point :-)

Head torch, heavy but amazing Spark SX5. True dusk to dawn (10hrs) on a single battery with 220 lumens and more importantly, a very useable spread. From China, with a mammoth 26650 battery. Glow sticks on pack straps for map reading etc.

Shoes - pah, I wear sandals :-) I'll let others suggest those...

Take what I and others say with a pinch of salt. I line up at various events and look at others and I used to think "Bloody hell, how do they get on with that kit selection?"

But, they get on just fine, and are probably thinking the same of me :-) Kit selection is personal and diverse, and what works for you might not for me, and I might swap kit between events and seasons even then :-)

If you can borrow stuff to try, that is the perfect solution.
Aug 2017
11:56am, 21 Aug 2017
27,210 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Part of the fun of ultras - there's almost nothing that you can say is "the one right way" from kit, to training, to race execution, to nutrition... a constant education!

RiC - respect for sandals (Lunas? or home made?) for ultras. I run barefoot around a grass park for a mile or two or on beach but couldn't do miles and miles over the Scottish Highland terrain of rocks and gravel!

Let us know how you get on Chris if you're still about. :-) G
Aug 2017
2:07pm, 21 Aug 2017
6,275 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
A blog
Aug 2017
2:46pm, 21 Aug 2017
1,835 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
HappyGrr - Mostly Lunas but I did the bingo run in DIY XeroShoes. I also did some of the really muddy section on the Poppyline in bare feet as it was easier :-)
Approx 1000m up in the Cairngorms the other week. You get used to it :-p

(Cairngorms will be my back yard playground as of a couple of weeks time. That should help with the strength in my legs)
Aug 2017
3:37pm, 21 Aug 2017
27,215 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Respect RiC. TMW - did you mean that a blog is essential for ultra marathoners? Yip! Oranj - thanks for that link. I've just ordered their kit. Something to do with their company / logo being my surname. I like the idea of personalised kit! :- )G
Aug 2017
3:49pm, 21 Aug 2017
6,276 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Yes I did HappyGrrr, and a hyperactive twitter account!

About This Thread

Maintained by
Any ultramarathoners out there can you recommend best for weight and comfort:

Headtorch (100 lume...