UKA COVID-19 Guidance for Road Race Organisers

19 watchers
Jul 2020
2:55pm, 23 Jul 2020
27,732 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I think it is quite obvious that there will not be a massed start race this year, UKA are just rubber stamping that. If (actually, when) there are resurgances come October and over the winter, I would wager that mass starts won't be happening next spring either.

I don't thikn it is just the 2m, it is getting people from lots of other parts of the country, that will have (even now) very different rates of Covid, staying in accommodation, eating, drinking, travelling etc, even a small chnace of tranmission mean that you can then have other outbreaks, always remebering that 80% show no symptoms, really currently and for quite sometime, mass starts are not an option.

As for 40,000 people with an extended staggered start, hmm, road closures, overtaking, supporters, nope, I don't think so,
jda
Jul 2020
3:00pm, 23 Jul 2020
7,955 posts
  •  
jda
As for 40,000, well all of those have been cancelled already, haven't they? I'm thinking of up to 100 or even 50 for starters - quite a few of my local races are like that, and one in particular (closed course 5km) is probably achievable under these guidelines, if the organisers can be bothered with arranging it with small waves etc.
Jul 2020
3:13pm, 23 Jul 2020
4,467 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I know Brighton were asking if runners wanted to defer for free until 2021. Even so, there is no chance of reducing the field considerably from 10,000. Although not as congested as London, it does get a bit 'friendly' until mile 5 and also between 7-9.

As WS says, the fact that roads need to be cleaned and reopened, the concept of staggered starts just foes not work with a large field. Deterring spectators, family and local residents is unlikely either. You only have to look at Liverpool and Leeds fans to see that. Oh, and no taking jelly babies from young children either!
jda
Jul 2020
3:38pm, 23 Jul 2020
7,956 posts
  •  
jda
I don't think there is any point even talking about big city events under these conditions. The interesting question surely is, what can actually be done now? It seems to me that 10 people on a wide closed circuit (there's one near me) would be easy, for example. How much bigger? I'm hoping to do a ~500 person race in October, on a road that should be fairly quiet, but which is open to traffic. Subject to start/finish area limitations (perhaps staggered/wave starts), that sounds just about possible too, though I bet there will be gaggles of runners sticking together unless we are widely spaced. Of course the rules will have evolved by then anyway...
Jul 2020
3:59pm, 23 Jul 2020
293 posts
  •  
Shades
With city marathons the elephant in the room is that there would be no way that spectators could be discouraged from coming out of their houses to watch with any semblance of social distancing.

I'm signed up for Goodwood marathon, maybe that will go ahead as they can keep the circuit closed to spectators and apparently there is room there to allow the runners to keep apart, we'll see.

I heard a rumour that London have measured out a small multi lap circuit for some sort of elite race, don't know if that's true.
SPR
Jul 2020
4:06pm, 23 Jul 2020
30,546 posts
  •  
SPR
Elite in theory could have loads of testing in the lead up so social distancing wasn't necessary. I'm guessing some of them will want a race now as well.
Jul 2020
4:17pm, 23 Jul 2020
4,015 posts
  •  
Nelly
@Shades spectators are mentioned in the guidelines, although how successful any such strategies would be is questionable (at best):-

"Organisers should develop comprehensive communication plans to deter the number of spectators and supporters from attending the event, emphasising alternatives to follow the event where provided.
Where appropriate organisers must take pre-emptive action to mitigate known points of spectator crowding, including preventing access to those areas if necessary, removing entertainment and attractions, or applying one-way systems etc."

I suppose, London Marathon organisers could attempt to close off Tower Bridge to spectators, for example,
Jul 2020
4:46pm, 23 Jul 2020
4,469 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
A few months' back, London were considering the elite-only race as an option. It seems highly unlikely at present that there can be any alternative other than a cancellation.
Jul 2020
5:18pm, 23 Jul 2020
1,714 posts
  •  
auburnette
I'm up to 16 miles now in my round 2 London training... This is the point where the long runs start to get a bit tedious so I hope we do get a clear announcement next week rather than a further "wait and see" followed by inevitable cancellation!
Jul 2020
5:42pm, 23 Jul 2020
17 posts
  •  
ancient
is there any England Athletics guidance on XC races for this winter? I am hoping that league events with runners based locally up to 400 might be OK, but can see bigger XC races like Southerns and Nationals could be very difficult!!

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Discussion of UKA's "Principles for Staging Road and MT Running Events During COVID-19 Restrictions"

Link:- runbritain.com