UKA COVID-19 Guidance for Road Race Organisers

19 watchers
Jul 2020
6:46pm, 22 Jul 2020
4,013 posts
  •  
Nelly
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I did have a quick search and couldn't find anything...

Has anybody else read/seen the latest guidance published by UKA, apparently published on 10th July (although the properties of the PDF suggest the current file was only created yesterday), for organiser regarding COVID protocols for road and multi-terrain races? runbritain.com

First thing to note is that the guidelines have been produced by "UK Athletics/England Athletics and MSO (Mass Participation Sports Organisers)". I believe MSO includes the organiser's of London, Manchester & Brighton marathons, as well as Great Run etc.

Requirements that jumped out at me:-

- "This guidance at this stage applies to English races only... will need to be applied across the range of events that take place – from small local races to large mass participation events"

- "Organisers should assess whether it is possible for the public to maintain social distancing when travelling to and from the event."

- "All competitors should have entered the event in advance..."

- "Organisers should consider whether facilities (e.g. baggage drop... are necessary at the event"

- "Event features that may lead to congregating on the route (e.g. pacers, entertainment) should be withdrawn."

- "Unnecessary touch points (e.g. handing out of medals) should be removed from the finish areas."

- "If drinks stations must be used... Bottles should be picked up by participants and not handed to them."

- "Medical teams should be aware that an ambulance used to transport a potential Covid patient will need to be sterilised... medical planning should consider increasing provision of ambulances"

- "Organisers should develop comprehensive communication plans to deter the number of spectators and supporters from attending the event..."

- "consider increasing the number of portable toilets to reduce queuing and ensure these are fully stocked and replenished with hand sanitisers or soap and water and paper towels."

All in all, they generally appear sensible precautions, however, it does make me wonder how some races still anticipate going ahead (e.g. London and Brighton marathons), when they rely upon public transport for competitors to get to their events for example, but other organisers cancelled almost immediately after the publication of these guidelines. Similarly, how ill some small/local races cope with the requirement for pre-entries only?
Jul 2020
11:29am, 23 Jul 2020
1,713 posts
  •  
auburnette
I read this and couldn't see how any larger marathon could take place. I note though that it is intended to apply while there is a requirement for social distancing - messaging on this has been mixed with CMOs indicating it will be needed for the rest of the year, while Boris has said he hopes that we may be able to drop remaining need for social distancing by November (although would be too late for Brighton and London).

I work for NHS England and we have been told to expect to continue to work from home til the end of the year (crying as I miss the gym and the change of scenery terribly!) - I can't see how I will be running the London Marathon cheek to jowl with 40,000 other runners in October. London is about the most congested marathon there is, it's not just the start pens, even when you're running for the first few miles you're so close to others unless you're at the very front or the very back.
Jul 2020
1:05pm, 23 Jul 2020
4,462 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
London are due to make an announcement on Tuesday and I am sure Brighton will also make a decision around the same time.

The starting areas for both events are always heavily populated and course congestion is commonplace, especially in London. It is impossible to stagger the start so that very limited runners are released at the same time. Even if they did, there simply is not enough space to organise this. As mentioned above, public transport to both events is a necessity. Some of the guidelines I was already aware of and I will assume that race packs would have to be posted on this occasion.

The only other alternatives as laid down by the Hamburg Marathon (13 September) are pre and post-race face coverings to be worn and that everyone must have had a COVID-19 test. Another option would be to temperature check everyone as they enter the runners only areas. I am sure that all these points (and more) are already under discussion.

I organise a small (50-70 runners) 10k and June's event was cancelled as no events were permitted at the time. I don't starting planning the 2021 race until October, so I am hoping that everything will be dying down by then. However, in the meantime, I am taking all things on board just in case.
jda
Jul 2020
1:42pm, 23 Jul 2020
7,952 posts
  •  
jda
Hadn't seen that before, thanks. If the aim is to be totally rigorous about 2m spacing at all times, it will be basically impossible to hold any sort of races on most courses (overtaking, corners etc). OTOH if we read it that overtaking is permitted, small events will be fine, subject to a bit of care around the start and finish areas (maybe wave starts depending on capacity of start line area).
Jul 2020
1:49pm, 23 Jul 2020
4,014 posts
  •  
Nelly
I agree jda, a road-style "race" appears currently impossible under these requirements, a time trial more plausible...

There's further information available ina FAQ document, https://www.runbritain.com/shared/get-file.ashx?id=6441&itemtype=document, that elaborates on the start area requirements:-

"At present mass starts are not permitted.
The options are,
1. Time Trial type start – setting 1 athlete off at a time, with a gap in between.
2. Setting 2-3 athletes off at a time, with a gap in between.
3. Setting off a larger group/wave, size to be determined.
Remember the requirements for maintaining social distancing within the start funnel..."

Clearly #3 is the option most organisers would prefer to utilise but the "size to be determined" guidance is not very helpful!
Jul 2020
1:57pm, 23 Jul 2020
9,288 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Round Reading Ultra seems to be going ahead on the 1st of August. They are setting off socially distanced groups of 6 every 2 minutes over a 2 hour period.
Jul 2020
2:00pm, 23 Jul 2020
70 posts
  •  
ascoey
Hamburg was confident their measures would work but have ended up postponing to April anyway.
Jul 2020
2:20pm, 23 Jul 2020
366 posts
  •  
Spideog
They are very vague on any actual restrictions, but probably with good reason as each race setup is a bit different. No mention of overall numbers, no mention of how big a bubble for a start wave might be and no mention of needing to stay 2m apart during the racing itself.

If we assume that they are accepting that maintaining 2m separation whilst running is both pointless for limiting transmission and impractical, then the main problem for the likes of London marathon is actually getting people from the centre of London to the start line. The trains to the start are where there is an actual potential risk of transmission as you are inside in a closed box and everyone sitting on top of each other. The only mention regarding social distancing is to do with getting too and from an event.

It would be possible to space out people in wave start groups of 500 or 1000 and set them off at 5 minute intervals as they have the space in Blackheath and Greenwich park if they can do the logistics of it regarding baggage trucks and loos.
Jul 2020
2:29pm, 23 Jul 2020
6,394 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
A 10k race near me has announced it’s got full approval and will be going ahead in August. This is all they’ve said so far about the measures put in place:

“ There will be lots of measures in place to keep you safe, including distancing, staggered starts, sanitising and hygiene measures and some other changes! We'll give you the full details ahead of the day”
jda
Jul 2020
2:54pm, 23 Jul 2020
7,954 posts
  •  
jda
"The density of runners on the course should allow for socially distanced overtaking."

That surely means a ~4m wide course at all points (1m for each athlete and 2m gap), or at least for the bulk of it with overtaking forbidden at a few pinch points. That is quite a serious limitation on courses.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Discussion of UKA's "Principles for Staging Road and MT Running Events During COVID-19 Restrictions"

Link:- runbritain.com