•  
chunkywizard
Thames Valley XC has cancelled already until at least 2021
Jul 2020
5:53pm, 23 Jul 2020
294 posts
  •  
Shades
Nelly - don't London have hundreds of thousands of spectators lining the route. Don't think a "please stay at home and watch it on the telly" will work.

I had heard that the small measured lap for alleged elite race would be fenced off so no spectators. On TV I guess.

ancient - I would think they have plenty time to choose carefully suitable venues for the bigger XC events such as the Nationals. The League events are organised by the various areas I think, so they'd be the ones to contact
SPR
Jul 2020
5:54pm, 23 Jul 2020
30,548 posts
  •  
SPR
Birmingham and Districts (men), and Midlands (women) XC League have said they expect nothing to be able to start till January and are planning on that basis. They will insert a December fixture (if possible) if things change.
Jul 2020
6:06pm, 23 Jul 2020
46,249 posts
  •  
McGoohan
So, thought experiment time. I did some pretend numbers Every year big city marathons like London and Brighton make us wander through Expos and other such bollox. Instead of a '3 day festival of running' which is how they try to market this stuff and is actually two days of selling crap and one day of running, how about they had three actual days of running?

Obvs, the spectator issues would still be a problem and the logistics of closing off roads nightmarish, but in terms of runner numbers. Say you had 30,000 runners, that's 10,000 per day. So say you had 20 waves starting at 9am and 15 mins apart would mean the last lot off at 2pm and that's still 500 per wave.

So nope, not even then.
Jul 2020
6:30pm, 23 Jul 2020
4,471 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I think London did consider Saturday and Sunday marathons as one of their options. In reality, it would have to be morning and mid-afternoon marathons on both days to account for all the numbers. Brighton could get away with it having only 1/4 to 1/3 of London's field but are always over budget and could not cope with all the costs for road closures, etc.

If runners gave an honest, realistic finishing time it would help in that waves could set off more frequently. In any given year, you see people walking within a few miles of the start having started from a midway corral - and not injured. There are many complications.

We really appreciate London and Brighton trying every avenue to get their races on. Us runners are already resigned to the fact that they won't and would just like to have that confirmed to us. Roll on 28 July for the announcement.
jda
Jul 2020
11:09pm, 24 Jul 2020
7,964 posts
  •  
jda
So my local 5k is on. I'm not sure what the start wave size is, there are going to be more races than usual spaced out over a longer time though. Half-tempted but not particularly desperate so won't rush to sign up (and therefore will probably miss a spot).
Jul 2020
10:30am, 26 Jul 2020
1,552 posts
  •  
Lorraine
Oxford Half sent out a survey with various options,one of them was to hold the event over Saturday and Sunday with staggered starts and no spectators.
jda
Jul 2020
1:52pm, 26 Jul 2020
7,971 posts
  •  
jda
20 person waves in the 5k it seems, or rather, 20 person races (seeded by PB) with no overlap between them. Course is long enough there will be no lapping. It’s a wide tarmac track mostly used for cycling I think, acres of space for such numbers.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Discussion of UKA's "Principles for Staging Road and MT Running Events During COVID-19 Restrictions"

Link:- runbritain.com