•  
LindsD
Yes. Take care. What a pain!
May 2018
8:39pm, 26 May 2018
33,514 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Grrr! There's always something to set you back - hope it's not so bad in the morning.
May 2018
8:58pm, 26 May 2018
6,271 posts
  •  
kwala
Hope it's feeling better in the morning
.B.
May 2018
11:47pm, 26 May 2018
37,331 posts
  •  
.B.
I hope it feels better by the morning tiamo and you have a good ride luck
May 2018
7:49am, 27 May 2018
6,575 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Good luck today
May 2018
8:27am, 28 May 2018
600 posts
  •  
tiamo69
Cyclists Fighting Cancer Sportive - 27/05/18

So, had a long soak in hot bath Sat Evg & then applied cold compress to left calf muscle (used 2 over an hour); went to bed & was up at 05:20 - 130ml route start time was 07:30.

Did my Pre ride admin & sorted food/Gels & drinks out (including the all important Protein Recovery Drink!); calf still very sore, as I applied Sun screen...
Because of the forecast (thunderstorms & lightning - very, very frightening!) I took my Winter Road Bike, complete with full length SKS blades...

Drove to Stratford, arriving at 07:45 & by time I’d signed in, visited toilet & sorted myself out, it was after 08:10; so, I set off at the back of a wave of 100ml riders...

Gave legs a test & quickly distanced everyone who was ahead in the wave: easily got above 20mph on the Flat & to my pleasant surprise; the calf muscle was giving me no discomfort... πŸ‘

Maintained a steady 20-22mph for 1st 50 minutes; quickly catching & passing the riders from the wave ahead of my departure & I was easily on course for a +20mph avg Spd first hour... πŸ‘

Quick aside: as I prefer riding solo & not drafting (it’s just the weird way I am on a bike; think it comes from my running days, it’s just me & my bike V the terrain & clock) I actually prefer starting my Rides late! It means that I will spend most of my ride on my own (no riders in front or behind), once I’ve passed all who started with me & it decreases the chances of some lazy arsed wheel sucker, trying to jump on my rear wheel, to grab a free ride! I detest wheel suckers with a passion!!! My tactics worked perfectly; even in the later stages of the Sportive, as I approached & passed other solo riders, as I was always the stronger rider! I didn’t have a single rider attempt to grab my wheel during the entire ride - Result! πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Anyway, back to the ride: so, just over 50mls in & maintaining a nice +20mph avg - happy days!
Then, the course took us up Saintbury Hill; which is a 1,000ft bitch of a climb: it’s very steep & practically straight up - it appears as a massive spike on strava Elevation.

This was my 3rd encounter with Saintbury: the 1st encounter (a very cold & wet Mad March Hare in 2017) saw my snap the Rear Derailleur 2/3rds Up; when I finally realised & appreciated that I needed the granny cog!
That was a very expensive error of judgement! During last year’s CFC ride I hadn’t realised that we went up Saintbury Hill; however, as I saw the approach, I went straight down to granny cog & rode up, steadily, in the 2nd Rear gear.
I did exactly the same this year - think it took me about 15 minutes to climb!!!
However, going up steadily, as I do on all hills; kept my HR steady at around 110-120: who wants to ride up like an idiot & blow a gasket!?

Continued to ride well within myself; stopped at 28, 56 & 90 to refuel (stuffing my face & refilling water bottles) & I made the sensible decision to just do the 100, rather than the 130; after about 30 Miles - stupid to risk aggravating injury on 2nd week of a 52 week challenge! πŸ€”

So did the πŸ’― (101.2 to be precise) which included 3 big, steep climbs that went on & on (total Elevation was over 5,500 feet Or 6,300 if you believe Strava!πŸ€”πŸ˜³πŸ˜±πŸ˜‚) & I passed the 100 mile point at 5:59:30 (Ride Time); so, I was pretty chuffed to get my target of a sub 6 hour 100 on Open Roads.
Avg Spd was 16.7mph & Avg HR was 129.

Had post ride massage on my shoulders; masseur, as I suspected, advised against massaging my legs, as muscle bruising was far too fresh! Had a good conversation with masseur, as she was going deep (my kind of girl!) & she was very interested in my challenge; so, have another potential contact / sponsor πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Annoyingly, chosing to just do the πŸ’―; left me on 369 Miles for the week: which I knew would happen & as I’m a numbers person, it’s really annoying, not rounding it up to 400! However, the plan was to just test my body, for a fortnight & then, if all was well & good; commit to the Year Challenge...
May 2018
8:32am, 28 May 2018
7,590 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Excellent stuff Tiamo and well ridden :-)
May 2018
8:43am, 28 May 2018
33,542 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Great day out, well done! :) Nice you had a good massage person there after.
May 2018
8:48am, 28 May 2018
1,717 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Sounds excellent - good call on doing the 100 and glad calf held up.
May 2018
11:03am, 28 May 2018
6,578 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Welll done πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

About This Thread

Maintained by tiamo69
My Personal Year Cycling Challenge in Memory of both Tommy Godwins: Challenge Re-Started 05/08/18

Target 20,000mls Ideal 25,000mls
Week One Total:
Current Total Mileage:

(All Mileage is Outdoors)

Originally started Challenge on 14th of May 2018; however, due to serious Family Illness & Real Life issues, had to stop, reboot & restart!