two hard speed work sessions in a row or just one?

1 watcher
Dec 2012
4:23pm, 19 Dec 2012
47 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Or a long run.
Dec 2012
4:24pm, 19 Dec 2012
2,466 posts
  •  
Shark the Herald Angel
If your training is structured, consistent - and fairly hard core - it is invariably better to skip the very occasional session you miss rather than try to squash it in somewhere inappropriate. Esp. if one is running as well as you are at the moment. :-)
Dec 2012
4:26pm, 19 Dec 2012
2,467 posts
  •  
Shark the Herald Angel
In many ways if you are relatively young then you need to be as careful about recovery as a codger does. Just saying.
Dec 2012
4:29pm, 19 Dec 2012
1,362 posts
  •  
Curly45
Back to back hards are interesting, its something I've done in the past quite effectively, but its not something I can do every week. what I tend to find is...two days after the second hard session (so day 4) you will feel really bad and need to take it very easy indeed. And for the second session you(day 2) will need a longer warm-up.

There are benefits to it in some cases such as preparation for running hard on tired legs, but most of the time I tend to prefer to do multipace sessions to hit some more buttons in hard sessions than my mileage really gives me licence for, because the doing a long run and two back to back hard sessions in a week is a touch over my injury risk threshold and tends to result in niggles!

Lots of waffle ;)
Dec 2012
4:33pm, 19 Dec 2012
1,072 posts
  •  
Will
Don't think codger is PC Sharks, lets go with 'youth deficient' instead.
Dec 2012
4:34pm, 19 Dec 2012
1,073 posts
  •  
Will
Actually that sounds worse. Codger it is. I'm losing the plot today. I'm out.
Dec 2012
4:35pm, 19 Dec 2012
1,363 posts
  •  
Curly45
LOL at Youth Deficient
Dec 2012
4:43pm, 19 Dec 2012
12,751 posts
  •  
Hamsterbolt
Haha, thanks for the nice comments and the advice guys, there's much more to come.
Descision made, recovery run tonight! :D
Dec 2012
8:27pm, 19 Dec 2012
10,312 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
wise choice young Hamster...wise choice indeed. Nothing to be gained from cramming in two sessions back-to-back. Just ditch the Tuesday session and continue as normal.

Some interesting points about back-to-back hard sessions there, and I know that some athletes will do a few days of 'crash training' however, I think in Hamsters case, just skipping the Tuesday session and carrying on with the rest of the plan as normal is a more effective strategy.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hamsterbolt
my club nights are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and I normally do hard intervals on Tuesday and ...