Twisted ankle, but no swelling?

1 watcher
Sep 2012
9:19am, 30 Sep 2012
7,984 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I went over quite badly on my ankle yesterday (twice!) during my race, once about half way and then about 1 mile from the end. I though I heard/felt something "ping" round the outside of it, but I may well have imagined it!

I managed to walk it off the first time quite easily, but the second time it made yell and swear and I cried for the next 10 mins in pain :-( I hobbled on, but the pain was still there. There was no way I was going to stop, I would have to have got myself to the finish anyway, as it was quite remote.

When I got back, I expected to see huge swelling and bruising, but nothing. I iced it twice last night, just in case.

This morning it is still sore, pretty sure it is the peroneals that are hurting (ironically I have just recovered from peroneal tendinitis in my other foot!)

Any thoughts? Or am I just being a wuss and should just carry on with RICE?
Sep 2012
9:22am, 30 Sep 2012
10,026 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I would probably rest from running for a few days, any bruising?
Sep 2012
9:36am, 30 Sep 2012
5,655 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I've done that in the past thought I must have broken it the noise it made yet no bruising or swelling. I rested it for a couple of days & it's been right as rain since.

I'd keep with RICE and give it a few days and see how it is. Hope all is ok
may
Sep 2012
9:40am, 30 Sep 2012
907 posts
  •  
may
I had something similar about 3 miles into an offroad ultra this year...the pain lasted a few mins but popped a painkiller and thought no way am I pulling out...was ok for rest of race which was luck did have swelling and bruising after.. any doubt I would get it checked out for peace of mind incase of any damage: )
Sep 2012
9:43am, 30 Sep 2012
252 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
No bruising or swelling? Sounds like you got away with it :)

Scrap the RICE, and try POLICE instead - Protect, Optimum Loading, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Resting won't get the blood flowing to heal any damage, so the optimum loading part is doing what you can, without pain, to maintain range of motion etc. The others speak for themselves..
Sep 2012
10:44am, 30 Sep 2012
7,985 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Thanks for all the advice guys. Hopefully I haven't done too much damage, not sure I'll be ready for a 50 miler in 3 weeks though!
Ted
Sep 2012
11:10am, 30 Sep 2012
12,057 posts
  •  
Ted
First time that I have like to sound of the POLICE. ;)

Well done on yesterday Lil, now rest wisely.

*please* :)
Sep 2012
1:03pm, 30 Sep 2012
7,986 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I have done some optimum loading by walking round the Bushmills distillery! :)
Oct 2012
5:05pm, 1 Oct 2012
233 posts
  •  
Muddie
Yup. Bushmills would be my first choice for healing ankles. ;-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
I went over quite badly on my ankle yesterday (twice!) during my race, once about half way and then ...