Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Twisted ankle

0 watcher
Aug 2011
5:23pm, 6 Aug 2011
114 posts
leekjo
I can't see another thread that helps...... please point it out if I've missed it!

I twisted my ankle running (off road intervals!) yesterday morning, it is still very swollen but I can walk on it.

How long will it take to 'go down' / be runnable on?
Aug 2011
5:35pm, 6 Aug 2011
13563 posts
swittle
Sorry to state the obvious, but you need to wait until you can run pain free on it; this will probably coincide with the swelling going down considerably. Many will tell you they've run on swollen ankles - that's fine but not if the consequences are a longer period injured. RICE is your friend. Hope you're soon fixed.
Aug 2011
5:38pm, 6 Aug 2011
115 posts
leekjo
Thanks skittle, I got my foot in a river quite quick and have spend today in the passenager seat on the M5, so am getting in as much RICE a possible!
Aug 2011
4:52pm, 7 Aug 2011
203 posts
Mrs mjb
Leekjo - I sympathise. I did mine many years ago.

I agree with Switle. You need to wait until you are totally pain free. Emmjaybee and I have a rule of thumb -'wait until you can go up stairs normally with no pain or having to modify how you go up them and then wait an extra week to be totally sure'.

Something else that might be worth considering when you are pain free is standing on a wobble cushion - this justs lets you do small movements and starts to strengthen up the muscles etc in your foot and ankle (I wasn't fortunate enough when I did mine to have a wobble cushion so I walked around on the bed!)
Aug 2011
5:04pm, 7 Aug 2011
13030 posts
Stumpy
second vote for wobble cushion/cushion/balancing on the bed. if it's a bad twist you might need to strengthen it all up (once swelling and pain have gone). and can't do any harm to have stronger ankles?

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by leekjo
I can't see another thread that helps...... please point it out if I've missed it!

I twisted my...