Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

twinge just below calfs

1 watcher
Mar 2012
10:46am, 19 Mar 2012
2 posts
Andy39
I've been training for Reading half in 2 weeks time and all has been going well until now. I recently started to get a slight twinge just below my calfs in both legs during my runs. I feel no pain afterwards when walking etc but during the run they just feel like they could give at any time. It feels like sudden cramp that just keeps coming and going. Any advice please?
Mar 2012
11:50am, 19 Mar 2012
40 posts
Crave
Possibly your achilles tendon? I reckon the best thing would be a few days of regular gentle stretching, foam rolling (calf muscles in particular), and maybe massaging the underside of your foot with a golf ball would help... wearing trainers with big heels throughout the day might help as well.
Mar 2012
12:22pm, 19 Mar 2012
9988 posts
SODIron © 2002
could be your tibialis anterior, soleus or maybe your achilles...

can you be more specific as to the exact location of the discomfort, type of pain, duration, trigger etc.
Mar 2012
1:01pm, 19 Mar 2012
3834 posts
Nightjar
Are you stretching *both* major calf muscles after running? Need to stretch the calf with both straight leg and bent knee.
Mar 2012
1:25pm, 19 Mar 2012
3 posts
Andy39
I mainly stretch with the straight leg bending at the ankle. After the last occurrence I tried to concentrate on the bent knee one and this did seem to target the offending area.
It is like a stabbing pain just below and behind the calf if that makes sense. hard to describe as once I stop running there seems to be no lasting effect. Hopefully this means I haven't done too much harm up to now. ?

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dodgem
I've been training for Reading half in 2 weeks time and all has been going well until now. I recent...