Turbo training:- On the road to nowhere

41 watchers
Feb 2016
1:32pm, 18 Feb 2016
12,868 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Oh, and for me I need to train myself *not* to stare at my stem. Even on the TT bike I need to be aware of what's around (and in front) of me, so looking at the screen isn't an issue.
Feb 2016
7:16am, 19 Feb 2016
31,841 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I have a Tacx what can it really do ? I have a monitor I as of yet haven't plugged it in lol
Mar 2016
12:53am, 1 Mar 2016
3,965 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
I'm confused now. So I only have a basic tacx turbo. Do I need a smart turbo. Igenius etc to be able to do any of this zwift stuff ??
Mar 2016
6:39am, 1 Mar 2016
5,891 posts
  •  
*Anj*
A bit of a long shot as it was posted in Nov but Hann, so you still have that tacx you wanted to get rid of?
Mar 2016
7:19am, 1 Mar 2016
12,874 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
You can do Zwift without a smart turbo - if you have a power meter it can connect to that or if not it can work it out based on a speed sensor. you don't get the feel of it changing resistance on the hills, but you'll still be able to ride round the course and interact with people.
Mar 2016
7:27am, 1 Mar 2016
7,193 posts
  •  
simbil
rmo3bs - you need either an ANT+ speed sensor buy.garmin.com or ANT+ power meter for it to work with a non-smart turbo.

Then you need a laptop with your ANT+ dongle in it and Zwift installed.

When you start it up, it detects ANT+ stuff like HR straps and meters and then off you go.

Enjoying it so far - have done some longer rides and some of their built in workouts which aren't bad.

Will do the dreaded FTP test sometime soon :)
Mar 2016
7:21pm, 2 Mar 2016
7,204 posts
  •  
simbil
Did the FTP test (short version) on Zwift. Blimey, that hurts a bit!

It's basically a warm-up with some slightly too punchy sets and then a good rest before doing a standard 20min max effort.

There is an amusing effect in the last couple of minutes where the colours on the screen start to seperate a bit. Either that or I was actually having a seizure.

They do another longer variant which I will do next time round.
Mar 2016
2:39pm, 6 Mar 2016
7,215 posts
  •  
simbil
3.5 hours around zwifts watopia today. Noticed a certain RachE high up in some of the sprint tables :)
Mar 2016
6:16pm, 23 Mar 2016
7,241 posts
  •  
simbil
Anyone ridden the zwift mountain? They've done a great job on it and it's a good length for doing structured sessions on.
Mar 2016
6:22pm, 23 Mar 2016
12,890 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Not yet! I'm on holiday riding actual mountains but I've heard good reports :)

About This Thread

Maintained by The Pilotlight
Somewhere to share and discuss techniques and training schedules and anything to relieve the boredom...

basic introduction...http://www.giste2e.net/documents/training/Turbo%20Training%20-%20Equipment%20and%20Set-up.pdf

introuction to indoor trainers: triathlete-europe.competitor.com

training schedules on here. you need a computer mind... turbotraining.co.uk