Turbo training:- On the road to nowhere

41 watchers
Nov 2015
7:45pm, 20 Nov 2015
68,357 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Long, cold, slow rides are great for fat burning though ;)
Nov 2015
7:52pm, 20 Nov 2015
10,242 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Best fat-burner I ever did was a week of hut-to-hut XC skiing.
Nov 2015
8:16pm, 20 Nov 2015
1,654 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
This year has been my strongest year on the bike ever. There are two factors I believe contributed but I'm not sure which was most significant. I had a strong winter od running but when the clocks changed switched almost exclusively to cycling. But I'd also spent a reasonable amount of time on the rollers iver that winter, including some more structured efforts.

I may get an idea this winter, as the running mojo is slow in returning so I may spend more time on a static trainer. How I do next spring/summer could tell me a lot.
Nov 2015
8:43pm, 20 Nov 2015
68,358 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I think Yorkshire Pie getting faster and faster on a bike is the contributing factor MM, you have to put in an effort to not lag behind ;)
Nov 2015
8:44pm, 20 Nov 2015
12,803 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Obviously ;)
Nov 2015
9:26pm, 20 Nov 2015
30,324 posts
  •  
Nellers
Well while you lot have been chatting I've just knocked out 110 minute of turbo. It's hot and sweaty work but it's keeping me sane (well, saner than I would be with no endurance workouts at least).
Nov 2015
11:17pm, 20 Nov 2015
68,359 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I admire your tenacity... 50 minutes is the longest I have ever lasted on a turbo or rollers...
Nov 2015
11:36pm, 20 Nov 2015
7,885 posts
  •  
Rach E
I saw this thread at the top of the page, and then saw my name was mentioned on the previous page - so I'd better answer the question!

I turbo for 2-3 hours a day, pretty much every day - and also do some commute miles on my Brompton on top of that. I actually find you can't get a more efficient workout - the "no respite" of a turbo, whilst horrid(!) - means you're working solidly all the time you're on the turbo. I also find I work too hard on the turbo and ride at "sweetspot" level the whole time (which is just below your maximum intensity you can put out for an hour - or your "FTP" for those who know the term).

As mentioned, I think it was this type of training which helped me get the record for 30 miles in October. I do loads of sessions of just over an hour at a pretty high intensity, so to ride for an hour and three minutes flat out was something I was fairly used to.

I just find riding in the cold is too unpleasant, and hardly encourages a good workout. The turbo is just more enticing at this time of year!
Nov 2015
12:12am, 21 Nov 2015
30,327 posts
  •  
Nellers
I'm with you on that last point, RachE.😀

The thought had occurred to me tonight that if I'd done an outdoor summer ride of the same duration I'd have had a few downhills to rest on but that doesn't happen on the turbo at all. It's relentless

Really curious to see how this virtual mileage translate to the road, but not curious enough to go outdoors in this weather!
Nov 2015
8:36am, 21 Nov 2015
7,886 posts
  •  
Rach E
Apparently a workout on the turbo is worth 25% more than one on the road (in "improving fitness" terms). Obviously riding outdoors has other benefits - hills, road sense, bike skills - but I know a lot of people who train solely on the turbo and it quite clearly does work.

I'm getting on mine shortly (not that I'm in the mood for it today!!).

About This Thread

Maintained by The Pilotlight
Somewhere to share and discuss techniques and training schedules and anything to relieve the boredom...

basic introduction...http://www.giste2e.net/documents/training/Turbo%20Training%20-%20Equipment%20and%20Set-up.pdf

introuction to indoor trainers: triathlete-europe.competitor.com

training schedules on here. you need a computer mind... turbotraining.co.uk