Turbo trainers

3 watchers
Oct 2016
2:27pm, 5 Oct 2016
14,965 posts
  •  
hellen
Hi,

I am looking at buying a Turbo trainer but there are so many sorts I am really not sure where to start.

I want to be able to measure my distance/speed/cadence. Can I do that on my garmin run watch (735xt)? I think I would need to buy something to put on the wheel to do that. Or is it better to get something more fancy that meaures all that for me without using my garmin?

Then there is the question of gears? Am I best getting one where I change the gears on my bike or one where I change the resistance using something on the actual turbo?

I would quite like to do sufferfest videos which I can get on my phone and which have you working at different effort levels / cadence so I would like to beable to change gears in some way to make it harder/easier and would need to know my cadence.

I know that some turbos are compatible with sufferfest. I think that means that you somehow connect them up and it tells me if I am working too hard or too easy. I am not too fussed by that although it would be nice if it doesn't come at too much of a cost.

I am prob looking at spending £200-£300 but might stretch a bit further if there was something that was a bit more and really worth the extra.

Many thanks in advance for the help.
Oct 2016
2:34pm, 5 Oct 2016
874 posts
  •  
Gromit
Hi Hellen , I'm by no way an expert in these things I'm sure some others who are will be along in a minute ........ but...... have you thought about rollers ? we've had a Cyclops turbo trainer for years , it gets put in the shed , then the study then back in the shed , dedicated a bike to be on there all the time , then get a less "shredding " tyre to go on otherwise the wall behind the turbo gets splatted with black rubber....... all a bit of a pain in the backside , Mrs G is getting a some rollers for xmas so she can ride her bike in the hallway whilst watching the TV on her normal bike so can change gears etc to get the resistance and when finished the rollers are then folded back up and take up no space .... if you've loads of space and spare bike then what I've described aren't an issue of course :-)
Oct 2016
2:41pm, 5 Oct 2016
14,966 posts
  •  
hellen
I did think about rollers but was told that they can be a bit dangerous and easy to fall off if you are not very good. As I am going to be using it in the conservatory with lots of glass I don't think that would be a good idea! People far less clumsy than me have said they wouldn't touch rollers! But I did initially consider them for the reasons you say
Oct 2016
3:00pm, 5 Oct 2016
3,555 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I have a Tacx Vortex Smart https://www.tacx.com/products/trainers/vortex-smart. This includes speed/cadence and power that will be picked up by the 735 (I have a 735). It can also control the resistance inline with an app which you can program (or you can buy training plans). I haven't used it excessively, but it's one of the cheaper 'smart' trainers out there.
Oct 2016
4:56pm, 5 Oct 2016
14,967 posts
  •  
hellen
Hi chunky wizard, thanks, looks good
Do you know the difference between the vortex and the cheaper satori?

In terms of controlling resistance do you do that on the app before hand or on the go? Are the training plans zwift whcih I read about in the reviews?
Oct 2016
5:01pm, 5 Oct 2016
3,558 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Satori has the resistance set manually, where as the Vortex is on the go. tacx.com

Tacx have there own training plans then you have 3rd party solutions like Zwift which will work with compatible trainers.
Oct 2016
5:09pm, 5 Oct 2016
14,968 posts
  •  
hellen
Now I'm really confused as I don't understand half these terms and stuff in that link doesn't make sense!

Satori has resistance set manually - does that mean I change the gears as and when I want like out on a bike ride?

Vortex is on the go - sorry but to me that sounds like you change as and when you please whilst riding so they sound the same.!

Sorry if I appear really thick!

On that link it says all trainers are compatible with the app then it talks about needing a dongle . This is why I got confused before and gave up looking! Too many bits and bobs needed!
Oct 2016
5:12pm, 5 Oct 2016
4,759 posts
  •  
Winded
I have a Jet Black fluid trainer. Resistance varies (once the fluid temp has stabilised which is quite quick) by using the gears and pedalling faster. It is fine apart from not offering quite enough for out of the saddle efforts with slower cadence.

You can get a speed sensor for your back wheel very cheaply. If I was buying one now though I would buy a "smart" trainer that works like a video game - link it to a PC or iPad and it alters resistance for you. Google Zwift - other virtual environments are available.

Oh - the Jet Black (with hydrogel roller) fluid is quiet and stable and fairly easy to set up. It lacks a bolt style (like a breach loading rifle) gibbons for quickly mounting the bike - if you are going to take the bike on & off frequently then I would buy one with a quick release thingy rather than a screw on mechanism. If you are putting a bike on it for the winter or forever then it is not required.
Oct 2016
5:15pm, 5 Oct 2016
830 posts
  •  
mbln
The Satori has a resistance selector on a flying cable you can fit to your bars. I tend not to bother, and just set the resistance before I start a session. To up the resistance you change gears just like out on the road. It's simpler that way :)
Does your local bike shop have any stock? Might be worth trying them out before you buy - some are less stable than others.
Oct 2016
5:18pm, 5 Oct 2016
831 posts
  •  
mbln
Oops forgot to say the Satori is quite noisy - it starts to whistle at around 20mph, and just gets louder (at least to the speeds I can get it to)
What are you looking to get out of the turbo? If you want to simulate real rides, then smart is the way to go - if you just want to turn the wheels or do simle intervals manual is enough.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
Hi,

I am looking at buying a Turbo trainer but there are so many sorts I am really not sure where ...