Turbo Trainer Buying Advice

2 watchers
Jan 2012
6:03pm, 6 Jan 2012
17,821 posts
  •  
Maclennane
I have a no-mark magnetic turbo with variable resistance which I got for €99. It's a bit noisy but otherwise fine thus far. There is some rubber on it though so I suspect the bit about knackering your tyres is correct/
may
Jan 2012
6:05pm, 6 Jan 2012
798 posts
  •  
may
Highly recommended prior to buying we bought the cycleops classic fluid 2 turbo trainer cost was 200 pounds great to train on very quiet easy to set up: )
Jan 2012
6:15pm, 6 Jan 2012
147 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
I just bought a 'cheap' magnetic turbo for £75 here : http://www.eaststcycles.com/products.php?plid=m2b0s36p3118. Just trying to keep my cardio fitness while Im waiting for my calf to heal. Any good guides for using it properly? I'm using it for interval style exercise, just to keep the boredom levels down...
Jan 2012
6:16pm, 6 Jan 2012
148 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Oh and its quiet enough to have in the lounge and watch the telly - if you like that kind of thing :)
Jan 2012
8:42pm, 6 Jan 2012
11,009 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Realistically it's only ever going to be in the garage, but I don't want something too loud anyway.
I quite like the idea of the rollers, but the horror stories worry me a bit.
Jan 2012
3:04pm, 9 Jan 2012
2,775 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
Rollers are fine but as was ssaid they do need a fair bit of concentartion at first but the benefits of fluidity in your pedalling stroke when you ride on road or mtb are worth it imo.
If you look at any track cycling event you always see warmup and warmdown on rollers yet watching road event TT warm ups they are always on turbo.
Couldn't access the link but these are the rollers I have
tweekscycles.com
Jan 2012
8:51pm, 9 Jan 2012
11,023 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
This is difficult. I like the idea of the rollers more than the turbo, I would definitely benefit from a bit of work on the smoothness of my pedalling.
Maybe I should start a poll.
Jan 2012
9:00pm, 9 Jan 2012
17,501 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Rollers for a more efficient pedalling action, balance and bike handling. Difficult to get bored because if you stop concentrating you will have a mishap
Turbo for working hard, not having to concern yourself with falling over (although it IS possible) and getting very bored.

They are both useful for different things.
Jan 2012
9:51pm, 9 Jan 2012
11,028 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Ah, so I need both! :)
Jan 2012
9:59pm, 9 Jan 2012
424 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I always wondered how you got on, and possibly more significantly off rollers without toppling over. I've seen people on them at the velodrome (including someone nearly taking a line of users out!) but never how they got there or escaped.

About This Thread

Maintained by JohnnyO
What should I be looking for if I was to buy one of these things?
There seem to be a bewildering ar...