Trying to Move House/Flat

29 watchers
Nov 2020
11:39am, 24 Nov 2020
21,334 posts
  •  
Meglet
Fingers crossed for you TMW.

My BF completed last week. First discovery was damp around the front room window, bad enough that the paper was hanging off and the plaster feels wet. It had been well hidden by her furniture and nicknacks. In fact, the nicknacks were hiding how bad the overall condition of the decor was throughout the house.
So instead of moving in this week we've been stripping paper and will try and decorate as much as possible over the next few days (we've both got thurs-sunday free). The damp patch may have to wait a bit to be treated.
Nov 2020
12:01pm, 24 Nov 2020
5,195 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Good luck TMW. I hope you find somewhere lovely to rent after all this time.

Urgh Meglet, it's never nice to find hidden things in houses. Our first place we had water coming in through the ceiling on our 2nd night there and discovered buckets hidden in the eaves, so the previous owners knew there was a problem. Fingers crossed we haven't found anything serious in our current place and we've been here almost a month now.

Much excitement when we put up the fancy new video doorbell and discovered we have a fox pass through our garden most nights that sets off the motion sensor.
Dec 2020
4:52pm, 1 Dec 2020
7,835 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Exchanged finally. Move on 16th.

Will probably live in a hotel after that point as finishing off a contract up until 24th December. If everything goes to plan I will find a job in another part of the country and move to wherever the job is at the same time.
Dec 2020
8:06pm, 2 Dec 2020
221 posts
  •  
SteveC amid the winters snow
Just going through the throes of selling a family house by the coast in Pembrokeshire. The conveyancer says its the busiest it has been in 40 years. The previous chain broke so I hope it works this time.
Dec 2020
8:20pm, 2 Dec 2020
21,357 posts
  •  
Meglet
Is it everybody trying to move before stamp duty comes back in?
Dec 2020
8:24pm, 2 Dec 2020
18,779 posts
  •  
Rosehip
That's really good news TMW :) I hope that you have employment somewhere where you can be happy to settle soon

House prices here have gone "mental" I wish we were at the right time to sell up to mad Londoners who are paying silly money to move out to Bedfordshire so that we could move to somewhere nice - but youngest has another yr at college, so we can't.
Dec 2020
9:04am, 3 Dec 2020
7,843 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Thanks Rosehip - hopefully it all comes together.

From my perspective the stamp duty holiday doesn’t make much difference if buying below 250k, it won’t be a big enough reduction in costs to be a showstopper.
Dec 2020
10:37pm, 12 Dec 2020
7,862 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Moved virtually everything to my mates lockup. Took 7 car loads (Volvo estate)

Key challenges were sofabed not getting downstairs and having dismantle while wedged in staircase, a reminder why I was moving as the narrow staircase has been the bane of my life, ambulance blocking road for half an hour, having to chop off washing machine feed pipe as it wouldn’t get through the gap in kitchen unit.

Got home and cleaned up, loads of dust and fluff to clean tomorrow. Body aches.

No hot water and Boiler not firing up. Changed batteries in thermostat and boiler then fires up. But Radiators don’t come on despite heating saying it’s on. House is cold. Book into travelodge for the night.

Boiler is under warranty and was serviced in October. Morally I should tell estate agent and offer to pay half of new owner gets it fixed. Not sure I have time as sale completes Wednesday. We have already

exchanged. Thoughts?

Exhausted after a v long day.
Dec 2020
12:41pm, 16 Dec 2020
7,874 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Well I’m finally out. Been at it since 6:30am, packing, cleaning etc. Exhausted. Off to my hotel now for a break and then have to put the last of my things in the lockup tonight.

2 trips to the dump this week, some mad cap rushing stuff to a friends house when I realised the last stuff I had in house wouldn’t fit in my car.

A chapter closes, I lived here for 8 1/2 years, had some great fun here, met my wife and also seen my marriage end in this house. Some highs and lows. Definitely time to move on.

I’m not that emotional though, just want to get on with the next stage. Leave the bad times in the past.
Dec 2020
1:54pm, 16 Dec 2020
5,215 posts
  •  
AChristmasCarolScribbler
Good luck TMW. Enjoy your time in the hotel and I'm sure that when you do settle in a new place, you will be happy to make a new start. I know I found it very easy to leave all the moving house hassle behind once I was in my new place.

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
It’s nesting season!