Trying to Move House/Flat

29 watchers
Sep 2020
10:21am, 24 Sep 2020
21,266 posts
  •  
Meglet
My solicitors (3y ago now) wanted all sorts of documentation and indemnity, eg because the original house builders went bust (but we knew that when we bought it 18y before!). What really annoyed me was asking for a different thing each week, as if they'd only just thought about it. Why not do it all at once?

My BF is trying to buy a house. His XW is remortgaging to buy him out so he can buy this one. All seemed simple as they're agreed terms between them, but then her solicitors wanted the consent order-which they don't have because the divorce is in process. He's ended up paying for his own solicitor to sort it to get it through.
Sep 2020
10:22am, 24 Sep 2020
21,267 posts
  •  
Meglet
And then the divorce lawyer are charging him per letter/email at one 6min unit each. Costs keep adding up when it should be straight forward!
Sep 2020
10:58am, 24 Sep 2020
5,118 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Yes, that’s what our buyer’s solicitors are doing at the moment. Really annoying as the buyer indicated they wanted to move quickly at the beginning of August. I suspect the solicitor is also charging per email.

The chain now stops with us as the lady we’re buying from is going to rent, having decided to pull out of the house they wanted because her XH is contesting their agreement.
Oct 2020
12:36pm, 2 Oct 2020
21,578 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I stopped watching this thread for a while, even though I started it! I was so heartbroken and worried at my lack of ability to buy or rent that I really struggled not to go under. Looking at some of the issues on here now; it's a wonder that we've all stayed sane and well. I've moved 9 times since January 2018, when I finally sold my flat. (I had to deal with the aftermath of losing my mum in Dec 2017 before I could get my head around finding a home.)

I've now put an offer in on a ground floor flat and we're at the negotiation stage. The owner of the block is Persimmon Homes, so I really need to scrutinise the ground rent agreement upfront. Persimmon are one of the developers in the accelerating ground rent scandal on the leasehold houses that they built. There's so little help with info on leasehold and poor regulation. Also, I want to get a dog but permission from management co is needed. I'm considering whether it's too precarious to get permission in theory only to find it rescinded later or have a complaint from a neighbour.
Nov 2020
7:01pm, 10 Nov 2020
7,770 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
My move date is mooted to be November 27th. I have started packing, wrapping up about 20 framed pieces of art work before running out of bubble wrap and tape. Still at least 10 more to wrap but at least I've done the big ones! The others are no more than 40 x 40 so relatively easy. More bubble wrap on order through Amazon prime which I've taken out for the rugby anyway.

Tomorrow's task is going to be building some boxes, so I can start emptying drawers etc. It's only a 2 bedroom house fortunately, and only person's stuff! My stairs are tight, steep and with a sharp bend so all packing is going to be done downstairs, and no boxes will be carried downstairs.

And why am I doing the packing and moving myself? Good question, the main one being I'm hard up and can't afford a professional. I've also got to shift a lot of things around from one place to another so it's easier for me to hire a van and get a mate to help. In practice only a few pieces of furniture are so big that I need someone else to help.

I still have no idea where I am going to move to, that's to be decided once I exchange. And assuming my covid test is negative!
Nov 2020
9:46pm, 10 Nov 2020
5,177 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Good luck TMW. At least packing yourself means you should know where to find things when you unpack. We paid for a packing service thinking it would make things a bit less stressful and it was entirely the opposite experience.
But we’re in our new home and settling in now.
Nov 2020
1:26pm, 18 Nov 2020
7,791 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
My move date has been agreed for 16th December, the exchange hasn’t been done yet but at last there is a date.

A year and 4 days since the offer was accepted.
Nov 2020
1:43pm, 18 Nov 2020
5,191 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
God luck TMW. It's good news that you finally have a move date so I hope it goes well.
Nov 2020
1:57pm, 18 Nov 2020
7,792 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Thanks. I’ve managed to pack up 50 pieces of art on the walls and wrap them up, they’re being stored in a friends garage. Next job is to reinforce my packing boxes and start packing up the kitchen.
Nov 2020
11:34am, 24 Nov 2020
7,806 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Been called by solicitor, exchange should be today, he’s taken my verbal consent to exchange.

Time to start packing and looking for somewhere to rent

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
It’s nesting season!