"Trust Me, I'm a Doctor" - the TV programme

1 watcher
Sep 2016
2:56pm, 6 Sep 2016
3,976 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
(Because I'm def. not a doctor!)

Did anyone else happen to see last nights's episode of "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor" on quite late - on BBC2 so easily missed!

They were reviewing wearable fitness monitors - most looked like fitbits to me! Seems the heart rate monitor readings (based mostly on wrist pulse) are pretty unreliable. And the step counters aren't a whole lot better!

Thoughts?

I assume my Garmin Chest strap works on vibrations, since when I wear a flappy shirt or don't do it up tight enough I get Very Odd readings indeed!
Sep 2016
4:10pm, 6 Sep 2016
367 posts
  •  
Daz Love
I had read that the HR on fitbits can be out. I do use one and really just you as a gimmick. I don't get the impression they were designed for already active people! 10k steps a day, the amount I do playing golf and running each week is c17k per day on average!!

I always thoug the chest strap HR from Garmin (which I also use) picked up actual heartbeat it's not done on vibrations. I can tell you that when working hard eg interval training the HR between Garmin and Fitbit is out by a fair bit. When resting there is little difference.

From what I have read the HR straps are as accurate as you can get. Yes, if it slips you get a misread as is not in the right place!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by 3M
(Because I'm def. not a doctor!)

Did anyone else happen to see last nights's episode of "Trust...