Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Trust 10k races - monthly and free

3 watchers
Sep 2016
12:13pm, 8 Sep 2016
944 posts
larkim
I suppose I'm failing to see what they are advertising if there is nothing other than an opportunity to start at the same time as a group of people and run 10k on public footpaths - just the same as loads of club runs?
Sep 2016
12:44pm, 8 Sep 2016
2518 posts
Cyclops
None near me but at least the National Trust are trying to get people in and using the grounds that they own. They probably attract people who aren't members of running clubs as much as they do club members.
Sep 2016
12:51pm, 8 Sep 2016
9618 posts
Liliaicha
I like the Polesden Lacey route, and it gives me chance to test myself somewhere different and to push myself because there are other runners there (I always run on my own otherwise)

There is a local running group who use it as a nice place to meet up, run and have coffee afterwards.

The NT are really only doing it to increase revenue, through coffee shop sales, parking charges or people signing up for membership.
Sep 2016
12:56pm, 8 Sep 2016
2519 posts
Cyclops
At one time, Liliaicha, the National Trust were positively antagonistic towards anything like this and I stopped being a member. At least the new chairman wants to encourage people to use the places they own and there are now parkruns, night runs, cycle rides etc.. There was nearly a triathlon at our local NT property before they lost their nerve with swimming in the lake. I might even become a member again (ie their plan is working).
Sep 2016
2:06pm, 8 Sep 2016
945 posts
larkim
Yes, nothing wrong with encouraging use of their properties better. I just think that with a little bit of effort they could make these something quite popular, but equally perhaps they don't want them to be too popular otherwise they'll go the way of parkrun and have to sort out technology etc to cope with volumes.

Nothing wrong with them trying to get their shops and facilities better used by offering something for free of course, its just that for me whilst I think the idea is OK, there's nothing compelling to get me to their sites at that time of the morning.
Sep 2016
2:24pm, 8 Sep 2016
25581 posts
McGoohan
I think this would suit the likes of me as:

a) I like parkruns and it's like a next-step parkrun
b) I've enjoyed the parkruns I've done on NT estates
c) I've no desire to join a club

Cyke - was that tri at Petworth Park by any chance? My BiL was going to do that and then it got called off at the 11th hour (and 59th minute) due to an algal bloom in the lake - which they must have known about for ages.
Sep 2016
3:26pm, 8 Sep 2016
2520 posts
Cyclops
No, it was a GoTri event at Nostell priory run by members of Wakefield Triathlon Club. The NT people were genuinely concerned about water safety despite having many people with skills, experience and qualifications on site. I was marshalling and it was turned into a duathlon about an hour before.
Sep 2016
3:28pm, 8 Sep 2016
25584 posts
McGoohan
That's what happened at Wakehurst! They turned it into a duathlon on the morning. They decided the rocks were too slippery and the lake too unhygienic.
Sep 2016
4:32pm, 8 Sep 2016
13064 posts
Wriggling Snake
There's one at Lyme Park, edge of Stockport, it has a parkrun too. The idea is just to get people into the park. Like all things they need people, money, sales, and they have to appeal to all people, not just people who want to go and see a big posh house. You can do that too.

I think it's a good idea.

Lyme park is lovely, but could be terrifically hilly. I also think a couple of fell races go across the back of the grounds as well.

Excellent sausage baps in the stable cafe.
Sep 2016
7:47pm, 25 Sep 2016
9654 posts
Liliaicha
Did the Polesden Lacey one of these again today. Apparently it has been so successful (it was a 6 month trial) that they are going to continue it and are asking for volunteers to help run it in exchange for a bacon roll and a hot drink.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by tonyp2604
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I saw on a local news website that the NT are going ...

Close