BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter
Trochanteric bursitis or torn gluteus medius - What to do the second time it happens
11:04pm, 13 Oct 2013
webbm00First some history
At the end of Jan 2013 I was just ramping up the training for the Watford half marathon and started to get a pain in my right hip after a hilly 11.5 mile run at a not blistering 10 min mile pace. During the next run 2 days later I had to stop after 2 miles as the pain was bad and after a few visits to the physio, loads of gluteus medius strengthening side leg lift exercises and 2 months off was signed off to start running again.
Spent March through to July building up slowly getting to 6 miles with no pain and felt like it was all behind me so to speak.
Then started training for the Henley half in Aug and the 10 weeks training went well up to the last week before the race (this week) when I ran a bit quick on a short "keep the legs loose" run and had a bit of pain in my right hip. Next morning couldn't get out of bed, hobbled around and a visit to the physio confirmed that the hip bursar was probably inflamed or that I had torn my gluteus medius slightly. Tried loads of NSAIDs to see if I could get the pain down to a level to run but too painful to run today's race.
My questions are:
1. Is it worth visiting the doc to see if he would refer me to a specialist for a steroid injection and if he does are they any good at curing the problem?
2. I have always had tight hamstrings. Could this be causing the problem?
3. Are there any other exercises that can be done to strengthen the gluteus medius other than side leg lifts with a resistance band? it's not the easiest excercise to fit into a day at the office!
4. Is it more likely that the pace or the cumulative distance caused the problem? I had been running 12 miles slowly without any pain.
5. Am I going to have to live with this or have other got through this and got their running mojo back?
3:29pm, 24 Oct 2013
rosehipSorry I don't have any answers, but welcome to Fetch
bumping this in case anyone else can help
10:29am, 2 Dec 2013
webbm00Just in case anyone hits this post on a search.
Had a cortisone injection from the doctor on the 26th November 2013 and ran for the first time today (2nd December) with no pain
12:52pm, 2 Dec 2013
JoopsyGood news, hope it continues to go well.
About This Thread
Maintained by webbm00
- Left buttock to Glute strain
- Injury- blind panic and despair-please help!
- FREE England Athletics Webinars
- Plantar Fasciitis??
- FREE England Athletics Webinars - February 2021
- Pain down left leg. Why?
- Extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT)
- Frozen shoulder, can I still run or will it make it worse?
- pi55ed off corner like the injured bench but with attitude x x x
- weird toe clenching