Tripping other runners

7 watchers
Apr 2016
11:20am, 11 Apr 2016
3,133 posts
  •  
Nelly
When, if at all, should it be acceptable for "responsible" runners to deliberately trip (or maybe even something else) inconsiderate runners/racers?

Having seen the state of just a small section of the local area after the Manchester marathon yesterday, I would propose as a minimum:-

- when somebody throws a half drank water bottle into the middle of a public flowerbed

- when somebody throws a half drank water bottle into a residents garden

- when 10s of people drops used gel sachets within 12-15m of the sign saying "End of drop zone, please carry your litter to the next zone"

(I've avoided listing the headphone wearing runners cutting you up, not hearing marshals etc)

Thankfully on my drive to work I saw three presumably council employees litter picking at 8am in the same area, but IMO some runners really need to show more respect for both the environment in general and the local communities that host these events. I would also hazard a guess that some of these runners will be the same people who complain about the rising costs of events, but fail to appreciate that there own behaviour will be having a direct effect on this trend.
Apr 2016
11:29am, 11 Apr 2016
608 posts
  •  
larkim
I think there are just plenty of inconsiderate people the world over, and many are runners.

Personally I turn lobbing the half-drunk water bottle into the strategically placed big bin into a skill game as a distraction from the running pain!

Running for many people is quite a selfish act, so I suppose their behaviour during races fits with that description. Not acceptable, though I think tripping might be a little extreme!
Apr 2016
11:31am, 11 Apr 2016
7,144 posts
  •  
Binks
People who let their garmins beep during a race.
Apr 2016
11:37am, 11 Apr 2016
8,687 posts
  •  
Chrisull
How about runners who trip other runners? A couple of races I can name where you get kicked pushed and if not off fast enough, tripped by people who will be huffing and puffing after half a mile once that 200m light speed sprint has exhausted their energy reserves?
Apr 2016
11:48am, 11 Apr 2016
6,468 posts
  •  
lammo
Snipers is the answer.
Apr 2016
12:12pm, 11 Apr 2016
22,803 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I assume (hope) Binks is joking, but I did once and only once have my Garmin set to a) beep the miles, b) beep time and c) alert on high-low pace. It was going off every few fecking seconds and I didn't have the wherewithal to switch off any of these functions lest I screw up my trace. If I'd been another runner, I would have happily tripped me.

I don't use that pace thing anymore.
Apr 2016
12:18pm, 11 Apr 2016
25,944 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
:-)

The first time I used that pace thingy on my Garmin it bleeped all throughout my run. I turned it off and it hasn't been on again since!
Apr 2016
12:39pm, 11 Apr 2016
11,106 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
you should be allowed to trip runners who trip other runners....
Apr 2016
12:39pm, 11 Apr 2016
7,173 posts
  •  
Badger
Yup. Mile beeps are fine, it's not like you have to hear those all that often; as for the pace, perhaps there are a lot of folk out there who are actually hitting their pace so accurately that the Garmin can keep quiet the whole race, but it does sound more like they're being told off every few seconds.

I think tripping would be a bit extreme too, but if you were going to do it to somebody who's just punched other people out of the way at a water/feed station because their PB is more important than everyone else's, I might turn a blind eye to that one.
Apr 2016
12:42pm, 11 Apr 2016
37,943 posts
  •  
swittle
If one suspects a runner is benefiting from mind expanding substances, s/he will need no further tripping. ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
When, if at all, should it be acceptable for "responsible" runners to deliberately trip (or maybe ...