Trip advisor for dummies. Or indeed Fetchies.

2 watchers
May 2013
5:15pm, 25 May 2013
2,885 posts
  •  
Doctor K
Some Chief Exec of Accor Hotels has just been exposed (and admitted) writing glowing reviews for his own hotels including Ibis and Novotel (or rather No-hotel) brands. They can't be trusted obviously. He also wrote crap reviews for other hotels not owned by his company.

The Queens Hotel. Ambleside ! Now there lies great memories.
May 2013
5:49pm, 25 May 2013
426 posts
  •  
Winded
I'm sure lots of places write most of their own good reviews. I still find trip advisor good for the bad reviews; if they have not annoyed enough people to get a fair number of poor reviews then it is probably a nice place.

I hope the theory works anyway; I just booked a few days in a nice B&B in Cornwall with a restaurant attached and the reviews are pretty good for both (mostly).
May 2013
6:00pm, 25 May 2013
9,522 posts
  •  
fleecy
I've had mostly good experiences with TA. You can usually tell when someone has unrealistic expectations and would never be happy unless they had a Michelin experience for pub prices. And if there are mostly positive reviews but the odd dreadful one then you figure that could be a one-off. If there are 20 reviews and they are all uniformly dreadful then you figure a place is worth avoiding!
May 2013
7:12pm, 25 May 2013
4,206 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
I put the occasional review on TA if we've had a good experience somewhere. So far, other people's good reviews haven't let us down as regards hotels, B&Bs or restaurants. I do look at other review sites too though, if it's a hotel.

I appreciate people who put their photos of rooms, views and bathrooms on the site too.
May 2013
11:09pm, 25 May 2013
67,625 posts
  •  
GregP
I'm with Fleecy.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Rule 1. Never trust a review entitled "GREAT DINNING EXPERIENCE"