Treadmill sessions

2 watchers
Oct 2015
8:06pm, 5 Oct 2015
5,197 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Can anyone recommend some suitable treadmill sessions.

Target race is the Grizzly next March (20 miles, 3000+ ft of climb), so aim is to improve fitness and speed with reference to hillwork. I don't have enough hills near me (and none on my main pre-work running route). It also makes sense to not get drenched and use the gym, if nothing else it makes me find swimming less boring!

Tonight I did 5k, 2k warmup, 1k at 5%, 1k recovery, 400m at 7%, cool down. Pace was fairly steady (10:10) as I am definitely in a base-building phase. I would rather do faster runs at parkrun than on a treadmill so I guess I'm looking to up the incline factor rather than the pace.
Oct 2015
9:31pm, 5 Oct 2015
6,205 posts
  •  
Duchess
My trainer (who is a non too shabby mountain runner) has a "favourite" session that involves cranking the treadmill up to its highest incline, then doing run/walk intervals. For me, it's one minute of each, but it could be 2:1 or 3:1 for more competent runners.
Oct 2015
10:35am, 6 Oct 2015
5,198 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Sounds interesting but presumably involves adjusting pace as well as incline? I'm a man, I can't multitask!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Can anyone recommend some suitable treadmill sessions.

Target race is the Grizzly next March (20 ...