Treadmill advice

15 watchers
Jan 2014
4:30pm, 5 Jan 2014
118 posts
  •  
Once a Sprinter ...
A bit late to this thread but I have owned second hand Powerjog treadmills for about 15 years. They were made in the 1980s originally I think, and they are incredibly robust. They are very simple machines by today's standards but that means there is less to go wrong. My first one I had for about 7-8 years and I only sold it as I had chance to buy one with a mechanical incline.

These machines were several thousand quid when new but you can pick them up for a few hundred now. Spare parts are readily available and there are a few engineers who will service them, although they are very simple so easy to do most things yourself. My current machine I have had about 7 years with never any problem. It has no programmes - just stop and go (with speeds up to about 15 mph I think) plus incline (i think about 20%) It gets used a lot in winter if it's cold, raining, icy or snowing, and occasionally when I want to watch something on tv whilst running! I have often watched a football or rugby game at the same time as running a few miles.

The main downside is that it is big and solid, so difficult to move, but fortunately I have space in my garage where it sits in front of an old 32inch TV linked into sky and dvd player! The other downside is that it is in the garage and can be quite cold

If this is useful and you want to know more drop me a message
Jan 2014
4:33pm, 5 Jan 2014
119 posts
  •  
Once a Sprinter ...
Just checked - top speed is 25kmph and incline is 25%
Jan 2014
4:42pm, 5 Jan 2014
11,528 posts
  •  
early bird
OH has just tried the treadmill and didn't get on with it. He runs or tries to run in pose and found it difficult to do on the treadmill.
Jan 2014
6:50pm, 5 Jan 2014
783 posts
  •  
lise
I ordered the reebok zr10 last week ,thanks EB' for the bargain find ;) gets delivered on Thursday, very excited :)
Jan 2014
8:42pm, 5 Jan 2014
175 posts
  •  
Dave D
You snooze, you lose. Zr10 is now out of stock - damm it
Jan 2014
8:48pm, 5 Jan 2014
785 posts
  •  
lise
:( aww that's rubbish, check again later, you never know :)
Jan 2014
8:48pm, 5 Jan 2014
786 posts
  •  
lise
Sorry I should have said that's what happened with me!
Jan 2014
11:06pm, 5 Jan 2014
176 posts
  •  
Dave D
Cheers, Lise , I'll keep my eyes open
Jan 2014
11:09pm, 5 Jan 2014
11,529 posts
  •  
early bird
Oh no Dave :-(
Jan 2014
9:25am, 6 Jan 2014
1,322 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
I purchased a NordicTrack T15 in the sale and I love it. I've had it a couple of months now and have had no issues with it. It's ideal for me as although it's a bit of a monster in size, the running bed folds up the way when not in use, and considering I'm living in a flat with no garage it sits in my living room which is very convenient. The running bed is also slightly longer than most non-commercial treadmills, and although I'm definately not long legged (quite the opposite) I love the fact that I can run a bit of a distance away from the console or move up closer if I wish.

Like you EB I bought it to avoid running in dark and lonely places during the winter months and avoiding the slippery icey weather we get during this time of year. Give me outdoors anyday, but this keeps me going if I can't get out. Also have children so can't always get out when I need to, so I can get some training in even if it's 2:00am the morning. I find it very useful to do intervals and speed work on.
As far as what treadmill is best, I think that's a very individual thing. Best to think about your requirements/expectations of the machine and the space you have for it, then go and do a load of research on what models seem good and what's crap, and of course, if at all possible, try before you buy - can be difficult but very important. I do believe there a quite a number of reconditioned gym machines out there that are very good quality and good prices.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
Mrs Nellers is saying that she'd like a treadmill for her birthday and because I'm a runner I'll ...