Treadmill advice

15 watchers
Nov 2013
9:30am, 1 Nov 2013
8,359 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
I'm with you vraps. I don't do running on ice.

I'm a member of this gym thegymgroup.com
Mine's £16.99 a month, is open 24 hours and has plenty of equipment. It's basic but more than covers my needs.
Nov 2013
9:36am, 1 Nov 2013
27,922 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If I had access to a 24-hour gym for £16.99 a month, I certainly wouldn't have given garage space to a treadmill. That's a great price for open-all-hours :)

We do have a little gym locally, but the hours are limited and my youngest daughter has forbidden me from going there because it's where all the meathead lads from her school hang out.
Nov 2013
9:31pm, 25 Nov 2013
3 posts
  •  
Gribbly Grobbly
I've been looking at treadmills too and I was initially interested in the Nordic Track range due to a rave review found online, this changed to Life Fitness and my head has now been turned by Precor. It's a jungle out there and the online reviews appear a bit on the dubious side some of the time and searching for views on the various treadmills doesn't generate much of real use. Possibly the best resource that I've found so far has been Amazon.com reviews written by discerning US customers.

I was looking at the Nordic Track T25 and T23, the Life Fitness F1, T3, and CST and the Precor 9.27 and 9.35. After a race, I took my soggy running shoes along to an equipment shop and had a go on the only Nordic Track that they had (the T18), the Life Fitness F1, T3 and CST and finally the Precor 9.27 and 9.35. These treadmills range in price from £899 to £3995 and all have good and bad bits. My first impression starting with the Nordic Track was that one actually gets a fair amount for your money these days. In terms of comparison, the Nordic Track was spongier to run on than the rest but it was by far the cheapest and it didn't have the gadgets that seem to go with the higher end NT models which may or may not be that useful in the long term. The Life Fitness bunch were firmer to run on, seemed a bit sturdier and had far simpler interfaces, no speakers or anything gimmicky and the most expensive fixed based CST was a bit of a monster and loomed over every other treadmill in the shop. The Precor treadmills came as a bit of a surprise in that they were far simpler than the others to look at and use and the footfall felt better than everything except the most expensive, the Life Fitness CST: of which I couldn't detect much difference between it and the cheaper Precor.

I've been approaching the treadmill buying with the thought that a treadmill is for life and not just for Christmas and so I want something that is sturdy and enjoyable to run on with no gimmicks or annual subscriptions to gimmicks and one that is responsive to heart rate since that is where my training is taking me at the moment. The Precor seems to be winning. The 9.35 is billed as built in the USA and claims a higher build quality, but then for £4k it's a sizeable investment and actually the 9.27 felt better to run on due to the strange footfall adjustment that the .35 has more of than the .27. I'm currently thinking that the 9.27 is where to go but it's quite a chunk of money at around £2495 and so the decision cannot be taken lightly.

So then, does anyone have extensive experience of Precor and perhaps even the 9.27 or 9.35 and is willing to share?
Nov 2013
11:06pm, 25 Nov 2013
4 posts
  •  
Gribbly Grobbly
A footnote: True treadmills get a good write-up in various places but seem hard to get hold of in the UK. Does anyone have any views? I'm a bit concerned that Precor are overpriced and not the company that it was but that could just be the jaundiced view of a competitor pushed out to the masses. A jungle.
Dec 2013
2:11pm, 30 Dec 2013
11,507 posts
  •  
early bird
Just purchased a reebok ZR10 from argos in the sale for £399.99. I want it to help me get back into running as mornings and nights are so dark and my usual routes are unlit cycle paths off road. I will run outdoors when it's light as I prefer it. I am hoping to use it in the winter in case of ice but also think I will find it useful for intervals as it's too easy just to ease off if your feeling a bit tired ;-) It will live in the garage along with my exercise bike which is currently in the spare bedroom. Guess that means we are sorting out the garage out to fit it all in then :-0
Dec 2013
2:23pm, 30 Dec 2013
2,294 posts
  •  
TripletDad
I'm thinking about renting one for a few months to see what usage I get out of it before potentially buying one.

Anyone rented one before? How did it work out for you?
Dec 2013
2:28pm, 30 Dec 2013
168 posts
  •  
Dave D
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on early_bird, I have a stone age second hand treadmill in the garage which needs replacing and 399 is about my price range
Dec 2013
2:30pm, 30 Dec 2013
11,512 posts
  •  
early bird
Should be delivered within I will let you know not sure how long the sale is on for tho
Dec 2013
2:32pm, 30 Dec 2013
169 posts
  •  
Dave D
Cheers, If it gets a good report I'll look to see what the price has changed to - hopefully not too much more
Jan 2014
3:53pm, 5 Jan 2014
11,527 posts
  •  
early bird
Treadmill delivered late yesterday just done my first run on it. I only ran a basic three miles but good. The incline and speed are easy to adjust and the belt is definitely long enough for me which I was worried about. If you have a polar hr strap it will link with it for hr runs. There seems to be quite a few programmes etc so looking forward to trying them out.

I have inside knowledge that the reason for sale is due to someone ordering 6 years worth of stock of oops

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
Mrs Nellers is saying that she'd like a treadmill for her birthday and because I'm a runner I'll ...